Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

15" MacBook Air M2 broke after a few weeks

I bought this 15" MacBook Air in December in the US but I live in Mexico. After a few weeks it broke. Everytime after logging in it went back to lock screen immediately and from lock screen to sleeping mode. I brought it to an iShop, an authorized apple retailer and service and they diagnosed that the lid closing sensor and the camera were defect. They wanted to replace the display and the closing sensor. After a few days it was supposed to be repaired. Then they said that also the microphone and something else is also broken and they said that they have to replace the logic board including the CPU, GPU, RAM.. and the touch ID board. That was at the end of January and since then they are waiting for the replacement parts. In the meantime I was offered a 13" MacBook Air for my 15" which I didn't want. Two days ago I got an email that says that there is still no delivery date for the replacement parts and the only device in stock that I could get is that 13" MacBook Air. They also said that I should contact Apple directly and look for a solution. The support in the US said that they can't do anything because the laptop is in Mexico and the Mexican support said that they can't do anything because they don't have the same parts like in the US and I either have to wait for the spare parts or take the smaller device that I was offered. I don't understand how and why the same company in two neighboring countries can't work together and help me solve this problem.. I'm super annoyed and very disappointed in the quality of this product and also of the customer service. I have used that thing not even 10 times while I had it and now it's already in the service since 3 months and there is still no prospect of getting it back or getting this problem solved at all.. the Mexican support told me to get it from the service and to send it to someone in the US so that they can send it in to an Apple service facility.. I think that's ridiculous.. maybe anyone here might have an idea what to do with that or who I might contact who could help me to solve this?

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 14.3

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 9:08 PM

6 replies

Apr 27, 2024 10:46 PM in response to snarebeatz

snarebeatz Said:

"No, I don't have AppleCare+.. it's a regular warranty case. And I also don't have the possibility to send it to anyone within the US.. as I said, I don't understand why Apple can't handle it themselves. It's one and the same company. I'm very frustrated.[...]"

-------

How to Check if AppleCare is an Option:

Apple Care Plus is for MacBook Pros. In everyday term is the "Protection Plan" for Apple.

A. To Verify the Status Go Here:

1. Check Here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support
  2. Enter: your Serial Number*
  3. Enter: the Code
  4. Click: Continue
  5. Verify All is Checked

* Finding Serial Number: Find the Model and Serial Number of your Mac - Apple Support

B. To Purchase One:

If you ever had time to purchase one, you'd use these sites:

Apr 27, 2024 10:44 PM in response to snarebeatz

snarebeatz Said:

"No, I don't have AppleCare+.. it's a regular warranty case. And I also don't have the possibility to send it to anyone within the US.. as I said, I don't understand why Apple can't handle it themselves. It's one and the same company. I'm very frustrated.[...]"

-------

Purchasing AppleCare+ to Fix This:

Apple is one entity. Not sure what else to say, other than purchase AppleCare+. You'd find the Mac's Serial Number, and then go here to select your device. That might cost a few, but it may straiten things, restricting your service to just one nation. This is because AppleCare+ is only available in the country in which you purchased it. If that ends up being of no success, then request a refund for the AppleCare.

Apr 27, 2024 9:49 PM in response to snarebeatz

MacBook Air Said:

"15" MacBook Air M2 broke after a few weeks: [...]The support in the US said that they can't do anything because the laptop is in Mexico and the Mexican support said that they can't do anything because they don't have the same parts like in the US and I either have to wait for the spare parts or take the smaller device that I was offered.[...]"

-------

Ask Apple About Send-in Service:

Is Apple not willing to perform Send-In service for your device? Note that If you had AppleCare+, that it is only valid in the country in which it was purchased. So, see if send-in service is an option fro you.

Apr 27, 2024 10:07 PM in response to snarebeatz

snarebeatz Said:

"Thanks for your reply. Apple suggested me the send-in service but it has to be done with in the US. That was what the Mexican support told me. To send it someone in the US to have them send it to Apple. But it's just not possible for me right now.. I don't understand why Apple can't take care of it themselves"

-------

Do you Have AppleCare+?

The contradiction is occurring due to where this was purchased and where it is being used now. AppleCare+ is only available in the country/region in which it was purchased. So, if you have trustworthy family in the US, then see if they can fix this for you.

Apr 27, 2024 10:24 PM in response to TheLittles

No, I don't have AppleCare+.. it's a regular warranty case. And I also don't have the possibility to send it to anyone within the US.. as I said, I don't understand why Apple can't handle it themselves. It's one and the same company. I'm very frustrated. I bought a faulty device for almost 2000usd and now I have to deal with sending it internationally, pay for the shipping and hope that everything goes well. I will have to go to Europe quite soon and when it won't be solved until then I'll be stuck with an almost 2000usd worth of scrap😢

15" MacBook Air M2 broke after a few weeks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.