go.skype.com running in background eating my battery?

I've been trying to diagnose the reason my MacBook Air battery, running Ventura 13.0.1, is suddenly being rapidly depleted. Battery health shows "normal". When I looked at the battery status on 4/17 was alarmed by the drop after I unplugged it at about 7 am. I used the MacBook then to view email, news items, etc. and didn't use it again until that evening around 8. I soon got the warning the battery was about to be drained and shut it down (see red bars).

I looked at app screen time to see what was hogging the battery. I found an app called "go.skype.com" and it was on for 108 hours and some minutes (odd for a daily report which should show no more than 24 hours).

Here's today's use to 5 pm. While I use it for regular purposes classified as "social" the battery drops quickly when I think it shouldn't.

I looked at app screen time to see what was hogging the battery. I found an app called "go.skype.com" and it was on for 108 hours and some minutes (odd for a daily report which should show no more than 24 hours).

Just today 4/27, I got back to trying to figure out what is going on. I finally decided today to trash the Skype app and permanently deleted it around 3:30 pm. That has not helped. You can see that around noon while I was not actively using the MacBook 2 hours were consumed by "other". And, go.skype.com was active for 15h 5 min.

I searched in Finder for it with no results.

My final thought is that it is an infection, probably acquired the last time I actively used Skype for a text message to Germany a few weeks ago.

Any ideas out there as to where I should go from here?

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 9:38 PM

2 replies

go.skype.com running in background eating my battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.