Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

I have a 2012 imac with original bt keyboard and mouse now they have started to disconnect then connect every couple of minutes

I have been to library/ preferences ans deleted plists and drivers but still it happens although not quite as much .I have noticed that in the library there are no drivers listed for the keyboard .Other than a complete clear out and factory restart has anyone help .Thanks

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 10:28 PM

14 replies

May 3, 2024 11:34 AM in response to espookid

To reinforce what's already been stated about cleaning and A/V apps I offer the folloing:

First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This documents describe what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community and Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is designed solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

Uninstall the two apps according to the developer's instructions.

Apr 27, 2024 10:44 PM in response to espookid

The following will require any USB keyboard and mouse. If you don’t have them, borrow or buy them, they are inexpensive!

1.     Connect the USB keyboard and mouse to the computer.

2.     Open System Preferences – Bluetooth

3.     Un-pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.

4.     Turn off Bluetooth

5.     Restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

6.     Restart the computer normally.

7.     Open System Preferences – Bluetooth

8.     Turn on Bluetooth

9.     Re-Pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.

10.  Unplug the USB keyboard and mouse and begin testing the wireless devices again. 

May 3, 2024 7:50 AM in response to espookid

Mac OS is catlike in that it cleans itself, Mac OS does not benefit from nor does it require any of the following types of third party apps:

·      Antivirus Apps

·      Cleaning Apps

·      Security Apps

·      VPN Apps

·      Maintenance Apps

What these types of apps do is the exact opposite of what users want. They make Mac OS slow, appear buggy, can damage Mac OS and sometimes create unwanted behaviors. In short, they are really bad news! Please locate the developers uninstall instructions and follow to the letter. Then to ensure they are fully uninstalled please download the free version of FindAnyFile and use to search for remnants of those apps and move them to the Trash and then empty the Trash. For example, if you have CleanMyMac (notoriously really nasty stuff) search for any files with:

• CleanMyMac AND
  • MacPaw (the developers name)

in them and Trash.

Apr 28, 2024 12:00 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for the reply .I tried this a few days ago but the safe mode didn't happen ,I replied that may be these instructions are for a later mac than mine .Mine is a 21.5" quad core i5 from late 2012 running catalina . I simply didn't get the start up instruction upon rebooting ,is there another way as i remember years ago srtuggling with an update to the OS when I needed to do a reboot and I pressed different keys -more than one -or was that a factory reset ?

I have just tried this safe mode again and it just rebooted as normal ,no options

Apr 28, 2024 12:03 AM in response to espookid

It works fine, please re-read and execute. To restart in Safe Mode the USB keyboard must be plugged in and the command key MUST remain depressed until the computer starts up.

BTW, do you have any of the following third party apps installed on your Mac?

·      Antivirus Apps

·      Cleaning Apps

·      Security Apps

·      VPN Apps

·      Maintenance Apps

Apr 28, 2024 12:43 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks again for the reply ,the link for a safe start doesn't say to hold the function key and that was the reason I didn't get the options .Which didn't happen anyway but I got another way of safe start having to enter my password for the internet and then click on the HD drive .

So I am obviously back and will monitor the situation .Thanks

I have a 2012 imac with original bt keyboard and mouse now they have started to disconnect then connect every couple of minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.