Connecting MacBook to old monitor

I'm trying to connect a MacBook Pro to an old Acer monitor. The monitor uses a VGA cable and I have an HDMI to VGA connector cable to make the connection, but the monitor says No Signal. In the Display settings on the Mac, I don't see any "Detect Display" feature. However, what happens when I have the cable connected and the monitor on, I see occasional blips of an image of the Acer monitor appear on the Mac screen next to the small image of my laptop screen in the Display settings. No image of any sort appears on the Acer monitor. I also tried connecting an old NEC monitor and the same thing happens.

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 9:29 PM

4 replies

May 11, 2024 10:20 AM in response to GeneralGreene

GeneralGreene wrote:

I'm trying to connect a MacBook Pro to an old Acer monitor. The monitor uses a VGA cable and I have an HDMI to VGA connector cable to make the connection, but the monitor says No Signal. In the Display settings on the Mac, I don't see any "Detect Display" feature. However, what happens when I have the cable connected and the monitor on, I see occasional blips of an image of the Acer monitor appear on the Mac screen next to the small image of my laptop screen in the Display settings.

No image of any sort appears on the Acer monitor

I also tried connecting an old NEC monitor and the same thing happens.

Try a monitor that is not old and compare your results...

Connecting MacBook to old monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.