Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

2017 MacBook Pro stuck in internet recovery mode and getting HOT

following the directions to prepare my 2017 MacBook Pro to sell, I signed out of accounts and tried to do a factory reset.

it then rebooted in internet recovery mode and I can’t get past that screen - always ends in the broken globe screen with error -2003f. I tried another strong internet connection and got the same message. I also tried a hard reset of the modem/router but nothing changed.

i also tried holding command R, option-command-R, etc but it just keeps rebooting to the same black screen with the drop down box to connect to WiFi.

furthermore, it won’t just stay turned off until the battery dies - every time I turn it off it just turns back on - after hours of being on it is HOT to the touch, like it could catch on fire. I can hear the fan working and it never had any issues until I attempted a factory reset.

please advise!

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 1, 2024 5:58 PM

5 replies

May 2, 2024 8:50 PM in response to Travelling_fool

Try an SMC Reset. If successful, the laptop should immediately power off.

Can you still boot your laptop normally? If so, then try creating & booting a macOS USB installer:

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Also, make sure to disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

2017 MacBook Pro stuck in internet recovery mode and getting HOT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.