Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Eizo CG 277 full resolution not showing with M3 Pro MacBook via Displayport

Hi, so I just bought a new MacBook M3Pro. When plugging in my CG 277 via DisplayPort and USB-C dongle, it does not show the native resolution of 2.560 x 1.440 Pixel. I also have the USB connection plugged in from the monitor, also via dongle.

I tried changing the Signal Selection in the optional settings of the monitor to different variations but nothing helps, even making a new user as someone suggested does not help. The max. resolution shown in the Mac's menu is 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200.

Do you have suggestions what else I could try?

Posted on May 4, 2024 9:27 AM

10 replies

May 5, 2024 1:27 PM in response to DaNud

DaNud wrote:

Hi, so I just bought a new MacBook M3Pro. When plugging in my CG 277 via DisplayPort and USB-C dongle, it does not show the native resolution of 2.560 x 1.440 Pixel. I also have the USB connection plugged in from the monitor, also via dongle.

I tried changing the Signal Selection in the optional settings of the monitor to different variations but nothing helps, even making a new user as someone suggested does not help. The max. resolution shown in the Mac's menu is 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200.

Do you have suggestions what else I could try?

use the search feature if in doubt "Display Options"

>System Settings>Display>Advanced

May 6, 2024 2:27 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

So I have been running the display on my old MacBook Pro mid 2015 via Minidisplayport / Lightning to Displayport cable that was longer then a meter (1,5 or 2) without a problem. The cable I use now is 1.5 meters, do you think that this would be a problem because of the adapter?

Before I plugged the monitor in with the display port cable, I used an HDMI cable. The thing is, that with this monitor the HDMI resolution is only 1920x1080 max. Could it be, that the OS "remembers" the monitors max resolution somehow?

May 6, 2024 9:47 AM in response to DaNud

<<. The cable I use now is 1.5 meters, do you think that this would be a problem because of the adapter? >>

YES, that is Exactly what I stated above. Newer version of MacOS are now checking for transmission errors, and if any occur, the resolution is lowered and/or the display goes blank.

<< Could it be, that the OS "remembers" the monitors max resolution somehow? >>

NO, the Mac re-derives the resolutions supported each time a display is detected.

To get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display. "No signal detected" is generated by the DISPLAY, not by the Mac.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep — so momentarily sleeping and waking your Mac may work

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• hold the Option key while you click on the (Detect Display) button that will appear in Displays preferences (from another display)

----

The cables required for high resolution hi-color displays far exceed "ordinary" HDMI cable pulled from behind your TV set.

HDMI cables you want for HDMI-only Displays (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet" --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard 720p TV set, and not much more.

HDMI was invented for HD TV sets. it works great at its original resolution of 720i or 720p. At higher resolutions, it quickly develops issues that are complex to solve, and the cables and adapters required to solve are NOT intuitive.

May 7, 2024 5:03 AM in response to DaNud

DaNud wrote:

Before I plugged the monitor in with the display port cable, I used an HDMI cable. The thing is, that with this monitor the HDMI resolution is only 1920x1080 max. Could it be, that the OS "remembers" the monitors max resolution somehow?

According to the monitor manual (page 15), the HDMI input does not support 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz.

https://www.eizo.com.tw/downloads/manuals/PDF/CG277UM.pdf

The HDMI input should support 2560 x 1440 @ 30 Hz if you "display PC signals by HDMI signal input", which requires changing the monitor's signal format setting in advance (page 16).

For 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz, you need to use DisplayPort or Dual Link DVI-D. DisplayPort is the obvious choice here, unless you have to connect the monitor to two computers and are then forced to use Dual Link DVI-D to make a full-resolution connection to the second one.

Eizo CG 277 full resolution not showing with M3 Pro MacBook via Displayport

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.