Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Epson printer communication error with new Mac

I recently got a new iMac with an M3 chip running Sonoma 14.4.1. I'm trying to connect my Epson P400 printer. It was running fine on my older iMac connected via USB. With the new iMac I am using an adapter to connect it to the USBC port. I also have a Canon printer connected wirelessly to the iMac. That printer gave me no trouble connecting to the new computer and is running fine.

I ran the uninstall and got rid of all the old Epson printer software and then re-installed it. It showed up under the Printers & Scanners in the System settings with the word "Idle" with a green dot next to it. If I try to print something it will change to "in use" with a yellow dot.

The Epson utility window will say the printer is ready and connected until I try to print something. At first the printer makes noise, sounds like it is going to work and even pulls the page in a few inches. The utility window says it is sending data to the printer, but nothing prints. The utility window then says communication error and offline. Any help would be appreciated!

iMac (M3, 2023)

Posted on May 4, 2024 8:53 PM

10 replies

May 5, 2024 10:29 AM in response to genenapp

If I understand correctly, you’re trying to remote print to a networked MacBook attached to a USB printer, which, in my experience, is a near-impossible task with Sonoma. Especially since your printer has been replaced by Epson with a newer, AirPrint-compatible model.

I’m doubtful if your issue can be resolved without replacing your printer but am hopeful others can chip in with better. I’d also post here MacBook - Apple Community for greater traction. Who knows, maybe there’s a simple fix and/or 3rd party App to workaround it.

Good luck! All the best.

May 4, 2024 10:01 PM in response to hcsitas

I did go to that page and uninstalled all the Epson software & updated it with the drivers on that site. I disconnected my USB, restarted the printer and opened the printer setup. It searched for my printer but it said it couldn't be found. The printer didn't show up in System settings either. So I did it all over again with the USB plugged in. The printer didn't show up when the Epson printer set up searched (is that just for wireless?), but it did show up in the System settings. My Canon printer is wireless & has no problems connecting. It's on the same desk as the Epson, so distance shouldn't be an issue.

May 5, 2024 9:14 AM in response to dena2589

I would also completely uninstall all the Epson software and then reset the printing system ( Reset Printing System feature ) moving forward DO NOT use the Epson software, use Mac OS as it has the most up-to-date software and drivers. In the event it will not connect, this is simply Epson's way (all the printer manufacturers do the same thing) way of telling you "we are not updating the drivers and we want you to buy a new printer". This means it would be time to start looking for a replacement printer.

Once all the Epson software has been uninstalled (and the Trash emptied) and you have reset the printing system then follow the steps in Adding a printer

Finally, if the printer supports Wi-Fi or AirPrint, this is the way to go rather than using a USB connection.

May 5, 2024 9:56 AM in response to hcsitas

I'm having same problem with new MacBook Air M2 chip. My Epson P6000 printer has only a USB connection and works fine with another Mac that also runs Sonoma 14.4.1, but the new MacBook has connection issues. to it I can't even print remotely from it to the other Mac on which the Epson is declared as open to anyone to print.

May 6, 2024 4:46 PM in response to hcsitas

Just wanted to update everyone. After spending hours on the phone with both Epson and Apple tech support, I still have a communication error with my Epson printer. Apparently the printer communicates with the computer, but the computer doesn't send the data to the printer. I'm still dealing with USB because the Epson tech couldn't get the Wi-fi to work with my computer either. According to Apple the only solution left to try is to get a powered hub and see if that helps. I've been using a regular hub or the USB-USBC adapter so far. Thank you all for your help!

May 6, 2024 9:29 PM in response to dena2589

Great, thanks for updating.

That said, I’d lower expectations on the error being a hub issue. Be prepared to replace your printer! With Sonoma, all printing roads point only to AirPrint and lead away from direct USB. In your case, replacing with new, while not a cheap option, IMO and experience, your only one. All the best.

May 6, 2024 10:48 PM in response to hcsitas

I don't have much hope that the hub will solve the problem either, but it's a much cheaper option to try than a new printer and one I could always use. This same printer had no problems on my other computer which was running the same exact operating system-Sonoma14.4.1 and I was using a hub connection. I have a feeling there is a new computer in my future also!

Epson printer communication error with new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.