Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iMac sleepmode freezed login screen with VPN active

Good evening, I am using Quick Fox VPN (for China).

I have a corporate network account, which with vpn on/off, when it goes to sleep mode and try to login again it crashes and nothing works anymore (entering the user and password data turns the wheel and won't let me login. Does anyone have any ideas about this? How can I solve this? Thanks.

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 6, 2024 8:53 AM

16 replies

May 6, 2024 10:15 AM in response to ducatuca

Also , unless your employer dictates you must use their VPN app please uninstall the VPN app installed!!! Mac OS is incredibly secure and does not require or benefit from any of the following types of third party apps:

• Antivrus
  • Cleaning
  • VPN
  • Security
  • Maintenance

These apps have the exact opposite effect users want and they make Mac OS unstable, unsecure and appear buggy.

Please leave the OS alone and let it do its job. To keep Mac OS remaining secure simply keep it up to date and restart your computer about 1x per week.

May 7, 2024 3:01 AM in response to hcsitas

Unfortunately, there is no IT office here. However given the constant movement between on, off, pause, meetings,... it is quite confusing (we have already suggested disconnection but wanted to see if in our own small way we could solve the problem at the source).

Because the user in question is on a Local Network and my guess is that it conflicts with the VPN and when it has to log back in from sleep mode it can't find the user. In your opinion can we try adding some AppleScript .sh file to disable the VPN when it goes into sleepmode and re-enable it pre-login? Thanks again!

May 7, 2024 8:02 AM in response to ducatuca

The problem is that the VPN software is installed, please uninstall per the developers directions and then test. Your problem will likely disappear which at the same time proves the issue was caused by the VPN app itself. Having it "turned off" does nothing, the app has modified Mac OS and possibly damaged it. After uninstalling the app then restart the Mac in Safe Mode and then restart normally and test the computer.

iMac sleepmode freezed login screen with VPN active

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.