Brand new Mac came with AppleCare+ (that I didn’t purchase)

Just wanted some opinions on this one…

I bought a brand-new MacBook Pro on 14th March from KRCS (Apple reseller) and after umming and ahring for a few weeks I decided that an AppleCare+ sub was probably a good idea.

This is when I found out that my machine already has an active AC+ sub. My assumption is that either this is a mistake, or the machine I bought isn’t actually “brand-new”. Maybe someone purchased it, along with AC+, then changed their mind and sent the machine back but forgot to cancel the AC+?

I spoke to Apple about this a few weeks back and they basically said they weren’t sure what was going on and that I should contact the company I bought the device from. So I got in touch with KRCS and the only response I’ve had basically said “the machine was shipped directly from Apples’ warehouse, we’re not sure, we’ll look into it”.

The issue is that I think I’ve only got around 1 week until the 60-day grace period lapses and I’m not sure what to do. Why can’t Apple just cancel the sub and let me purchase a new one? Will the 60-day window be extended due to the weird circumstances? Will they just let the current sub run without me having to pay anything?

I know, I’ve left it a little late, but I’ve been incredibly side-tracked with other, more important things. Not to get into detail, but there’s a possibility that I may be losing my job due to a company restructure, so that’s kinda been playing on my mind for the last few weeks.

Anyone ever had this happen to them? What was the outcome?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 8, 2024 12:56 AM

3 replies

May 8, 2024 1:41 AM in response to WheelieNick

Thanks for the reply.

I've sent them another email this morning, hopefully it'll nudge them into replying.

Regarding the "refurbished" argument, this is actually something my dad mentioned when I told him about the kerfuffle. I'm not sure what EU/UK laws dictate, but he thinks that even an un-opened "return" should still be classed as refurbished...

[edit] Had a reply already;

"Apologies for the time this is taking. The Mac is brand new. It appears that it was enrolled in error, possibly a mistype of the serial number of another Mac.

I am still trying to get this removed so you can purchase your own AppleCare+."

May 10, 2024 9:46 PM in response to MRigg82

My new laptop my organization purchased came with about a 60 or 90 day coverage of AC+ which I assume is just a complimentary addition since my organization rarely purchases AC+ for our Macs. I only discovered it had AC+ when I was looking around the System Settings app and looked at the "Coverage" section. I think it may even have mentioned a temporary nature of the AC+ coverage. I don't recall now since that was over a year ago.

As long as you are not paying for it, I would not worry about it as long as the laptop is in your name. Years ago I would make an effort to contact the company to alert them to an error, but these days it is just too difficult to get anything resolved (especially with large companies like Apple) so that I will just consider it a gift & repayment for all the other times I was cheated by the company. I figure it evens out in the end eventually as long as it doesn't negatively impact me now.

Brand new Mac came with AppleCare+ (that I didn’t purchase)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.