New 2024 MACBOOK M3 - not working with two screens in clamshell

Hi - hoping you can help

I bought a new Macbook air m3, 13inch and am trying to connect it to my 2x Lenovo screens

I bought an adaptor - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C9DP2BVK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details - plugged into the USB C on the mac

Connected both screens individually via HDMI

I tried to follow the official Mac instructions for this but they do not work.

My issues;

• Even when i connect both monitors, only one ever shows up the Display settings. is there meant to be 2?
  • when i do connect them, they just mirror each other - they do not act independently

Is there something i am missing here or has anyone else had similar?

Thanks in advance

Josh

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 10, 2024 12:27 PM

3 replies

May 10, 2024 2:21 PM in response to joshp1234

Macs only support connecting two monitors to the same host port when that port is a Thunderbolt port, and the device immediately attached to it is a Thunderbolt device (like a Thunderbolt dock).

From the description of that adapter, it sounds like

• It is a plain USB-C adapter – not a Thunderbolt device
  • They claim that it does not require additional software (implying that they're using native USB-C (DisplayPort) output, and not some "workaround" technology like DisplayLInk)
  • They acknowledge that Macs do not support DisplayPort MST (for daisy-chaining of DisplayPort displays)
  • They claim that you can use it to connect two monitors to a Mac in extended desktop mode

The last item does not square with the first three. It make me wonder if the description is accurate.

May 10, 2024 2:29 PM in response to joshp1234

Here's a description of the NewMight HDMI Adapter for Dual Monitors on another Web store site. Definitely the same brand, quite possibly the same adapter.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9siv086k5u2948

This description also says that Macs do NOT support DisplayPort MST mode – and here the description draws the logical conclusion that you can't use this adapter to run two displays in extended display mode on a Mac - instead of providing an illustration of "extended display mode" on a Mac that seems to contradict all of the other text.

"Extend Mode: A-B/BB 

(Expanded 2 monitors with the same content ) 

It DOES NOT support extending 2 different screen on MacOS devices for the limitation of Mac itself. 

Extend Mode: A-B/BB/BC 

(Expanded 2 monitors with different content) 

Only Windows supports this Extend Mode (MST Function), MacOS DOES NOT support."

New 2024 MACBOOK M3 - not working with two screens in clamshell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.