AirPlay mp4 video to Roku TV

Airplay MP4 movie in quicktime to Roku tv not working

I have followed all the troubleshooting steps for streaming with airplay, and i cannot play an MP4 movie with quicktime. My Roku tv and macbook are on the same wifi network; i have restarted both devices several times; and both devices are close to each other. Airplay is displayed on the black background, blinks and says Airplay again, then takes me to the Airplay and Homekit Settings screen. I set up Homekit and added my Roku tv, but when I try to connect, I can only get to the Airplay and Homekit Settings screen on my tv. My computer screen shows the Quicktime window open and grayed-out and says "this video is playing on 50in Onn Roku TV" but I only see the Airplay settings screen on my tv

Posted on May 10, 2024 9:13 PM

1 reply

May 10, 2024 9:44 PM in response to ekg112

Airplay MP4 movie in quicktime to Roku tv not working

Not all MP4 files are AirPlay compatible. It depends on codecs and encoding settings. If incompatible, a conversion may need to be done.

If you will, please post the (extended) media file details from an analyses tool like Invisor Lite or MediaInfo.

I have followed all the troubleshooting steps for streaming with airplay, …

This one? If screen mirroring or streaming isn't working on your AirPlay-compatible device - Apple Support

… and i cannot play an MP4 movie with quicktime.

I would think that this indicates that even the Mac can’t decode the movie.

… both devices are close to each other.

That doesn’t matter, as the stream is not directly, but through the home network, thus often through the router.

My computer screen shows the Quicktime window open and grayed-out and says "this video is playing on 50in Onn Roku TV" but I only see the Airplay settings screen on my tv

It seems that the Mac is sending the video, but the TV is incapable of decoding it on the screen. Which led me to think that it might be a codec/encoding format issue.

AirPlay mp4 video to Roku TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.