How do I switch off "Hide my Email" on Mac?

I had switched this feature off in the past but it has reinstated itself in the last few days, with the consequence that Mail defaults to "Hide my email" and I can only select that or my main Apple ID email address; not the aliases I prefer to use.

Worse, it also no longer allows me to use any saved email signatures, and it keeps throwing out all sorts of other random warnings and pop ups asking me to confirm things or reset outgoing mailbox etc. When I confirm the account the email stays in "outbox" for ages not going anywhere, and then somehow for no apparent reason decides to send it anyway despite previously saying that it could not be sent.

It takes me close to half an hour to get one message sent between all of these complications. It would be quicker to handwrite and personally deliver the mail at this rate.

I don't know what's happened, it's literally unworkable now. I'm not sure if this is due to an update of some sort, I can't see anything that could have caused it. I'm not impressed. Apple seems to be rapidly declining in functionality.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 11, 2024 12:18 AM

5 replies

May 11, 2024 8:02 AM in response to safetouch7

safetouch7 wrote:

I had switched this feature off in the past but it has reinstated itself in the last few days, with the consequence that Mail defaults to "Hide my email" and I can only select that or my main Apple ID email address; not the aliases I prefer to use.

Worse, it also no longer allows me to use any saved email signatures, and it keeps throwing out all sorts of other random warnings and pop ups asking me to confirm things or reset outgoing mailbox etc. When I confirm the account the email stays in "outbox" for ages not going anywhere, and then somehow for no apparent reason decides to send it anyway despite previously saying that it could not be sent.

It takes me close to half an hour to get one message sent between all of these complications. It would be quicker to handwrite and personally deliver the mail at this rate.

I don't know what's happened, it's literally unworkable now. I'm not sure if this is due to an update of some sort, I can't see anything that could have caused it. I'm not impressed. Apple seems to be rapidly declining in functionality.

Hide My email—try disabling this feature and compare your results...

Set up and use Hide My Email in iCloud+ on all your devices - Apple Support

May 11, 2024 5:04 PM in response to safetouch7

enabled or disabled, you only use on of those diguised temporary email address when you deliberately choose to do so for a particular use. if you did not choose to do so, the feature is not involved in any way.

I do not think this feature is the source of your troubles. I think you have a more fundamental problem.

what email provider is causing the issues?

Use Hide My Email on Mac - Apple Support

May 12, 2024 4:46 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks Grant. I am using the standard Mac Mail.

I agree that the problem seems more fundamental. However, up until last week when I clicked to either write a new email or reply to one, I was able to select a sender between my Apple ID email and my aliases. Now it defaults to Hide my email, with only the option to select my main Apple ID email as an alternative. So despite not having any saved "anonymous" email addresses, it is still trying to use HME instead of the standard Mail options.

Neither option will allow me to include one of my saved signatures, and neither sends the email without throwing up several other objections first. (such as "can't find outgoing mail server")

How do I switch off "Hide my Email" on Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.