Can I shut down my Mac mini when not in use for 6 months?

O am going away fro 6 months is it ok to shut down the mac mini and not use it for 6 months.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 11, 2024 4:20 AM

2 replies

May 11, 2024 11:28 AM in response to ireland129

Depending on the model, you may want to leave the computer off but plugged in to wall power,

Pre-2018 Mini models used a separate internal backup battery (sometimes called the "PRAM" battery) to maintain parameter settings when the computer was unplugged for a few days, like for moving or service. They cannot preserve settings for months and, if the battery runs down to zero, it could leak and wreck the logic board.

When a computer with a PRAM battery is on wall power, a tiny "trickle" current bypasses the shut-down power supply to maintain settings, so the battery does not drain.

In the "days of old," when removing the battery was as easy as opening the door, it was de rigueur to remove the PRAM battery and tape it to the back of the case for long-term non-use. Today battery removal is non-trivial in some Mini models. I would turnoff the computer but leave it plugged in.

2018 and later Minis do not appear to have internal backup batteries, or at least one that is user-removeable.

Depending on your location and the sophistication of your power supplier's transmission equipment, any concern regarding storm-related power surges can be allayed with a quality surge protector. I use only Tripp products for that purpose.

Can I shut down my Mac mini when not in use for 6 months?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.