Do I need to purchase additional app for cleaning my Mac

do I need to purchase additional app for cleaning

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 11, 2024 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2024 7:23 AM

You don't seem to understand. You have a Macintosh. Anything that might be needed for your computer to be the best it can be was already included in the box, except ONE item.

That is a physical External drive on which to save a second copy of your files.

The amazing backup and restore Utility, Time machine, is already integrated into MacOS.

Apple does not 'nickel and dime' you for things deliberately left out. Apple wants you to be a happy customer. Happy customers, in the very long run, will make repeat purchases, and Apple will succeed as you succeed.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2024 7:23 AM in response to josefafromlongboat key

You don't seem to understand. You have a Macintosh. Anything that might be needed for your computer to be the best it can be was already included in the box, except ONE item.

That is a physical External drive on which to save a second copy of your files.

The amazing backup and restore Utility, Time machine, is already integrated into MacOS.

Apple does not 'nickel and dime' you for things deliberately left out. Apple wants you to be a happy customer. Happy customers, in the very long run, will make repeat purchases, and Apple will succeed as you succeed.

May 11, 2024 9:38 AM in response to josefafromlongboat key

Starting in 2000, Apple added elegant, automated self-maintenance routines to the macOS. These do ALL housekeeping a Mac needs, even automated drive defragging. Catlike, Macs clean themselves. Don't fall for stuff that only "cleans you wallet."

The industry knows very well thet Macs are self maintaining, That means to me that any outside apps that claim to clean, optimize, tune up, or polish your Mac is a four-letter word starting with an "s." You can choose whether its last letter is an "m" or somethinng stronger.

Such apps cause interference with elegance for which you paid Apple good money to build in. At best, all that third-party fearware does is slow the computer; at their worst they can make the computer unusable. One, ported from Windows, thought critical Mac system files were unneeded and deleted then. Oops.

Let your Mac be a Mac. Please.

May 11, 2024 12:54 PM in response to josefafromlongboat key

If you are concerned that your disk is too cluttered, you could get DaisyDisk.

https://daisydiskapp.com

I've heard of it, although I don't have it. It's available on the developer's site and in the App Store. The application shows you what is taking up space on your disk, and then you make the decision as to what to delete or move to an external drive. The App Store version has an Apple "Editor's Choice" award.

You still need to take care about what you move or delete – treating the application just as a tool to call attention to things to examine.

Do I need to purchase additional app for cleaning my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.