Since upgrading to Logic Pro 11 I constantly get an error saying "An Audio Unit plug-in reported a problem which might cause the system to become unstable. Please quit and restart Logic Pro."

Mac Mini M1

Sonoma 14.5

Logic Pro 11.0

Since updating Logic Pro to 11.0, multiple projects I've been working on for the last 6 months are plagued with this error. The two options are 'Recover' and 'Quit' and if I hit 'Recover' Logic just stutters for a moment then the error immediately comes back. I have no idea which plug-in is causing the issue and there's apparently no way to find out. I'm using plugins from Waves, Toontrack, and NI, all of which are up to date.

Please let me know if there is some way to fix this.

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 16, 2024 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2024 10:40 AM

this happened to me on one of my projects and the only way i was able to get it to work was not optimal. i had to click recover, spam click x and hope to open the mixer before it pops up again. then i hit recover and try scrolling to find the plugin and delete it. it takes FOREVER, is a BRUTAL process and is a horrible work-around but im just glad that it worked for me. im not sure if this is a viable option for you so hopefully someone has a better solution

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2024 10:40 AM in response to TheFerDeLance

this happened to me on one of my projects and the only way i was able to get it to work was not optimal. i had to click recover, spam click x and hope to open the mixer before it pops up again. then i hit recover and try scrolling to find the plugin and delete it. it takes FOREVER, is a BRUTAL process and is a horrible work-around but im just glad that it worked for me. im not sure if this is a viable option for you so hopefully someone has a better solution

May 18, 2024 12:18 PM in response to TheFerDeLance

I've had this problem since Sonoma was released. I use very few plugins and they're all successfully validated. I've since moved to another DAW (DP 11) as there seems to be no fix for this, and it's not exactly a new problem. I keep checking on Logic, and thought this update may have finally fixed it, but alas, no. It can take a while for the error to pop up, but once it does it seems to come up more frequently.

May 20, 2024 8:33 AM in response to ickumas

Solved... mostly.

This worked as you said it would, thank you.

Of course, it cannot fix the underlying issue of the plug-in that was made incompatible with Logic Pro (which was Bias FX 2 by Positive Grid for anyone curious.) But, using your method I was able to hit 'X' to bring up the mixer, click 'recover' which gave me just enough time for a SINGLE well-placed click before the error message would come back up. I had quite a few tracks with this plug-in on it and each and every one had to have the problem plug-in COMPLETELY GONE from the track stack, not just 'turned off.' That means anyone having this issue needs to go to where the plug-in drop down menu is and set it to 'no instrument,' while having to constantly click 'recover' in-between each click. I fear that those on slower systems may have even less time than I did in-between clicks as even on an M1 system it bogged Logic down badly in this tedious process.

Eventually though, when Bias FX 2 was purged from every track the error stopped coming up. So now I have absolutely no guitar processing on the project, but at least it's not a complete loss.

Thanks again.

Also, boo to Positive Grid for their expensive software not being compatible with one of the most common DAWs in the land, and boo to Apple who designed such a terrible process for malfunctioning plug-ins.

May 20, 2024 8:38 AM in response to ickumas

Solved... mostly.

This worked as you said it would, thank you.

Of course, it cannot fix the underlying issue of the plug-in that was made incompatible with Logic Pro (which was Bias FX 2 by Positive Grid for anyone curious.) But, using your method I was able to hit 'X' to bring up the mixer, click 'recover' which gave me just enough time for a SINGLE well-placed click before the error message would come back up. I had quite a few tracks with this plug-in on it and each and every one had to have the problem plug-in COMPLETELY GONE from the track stack, not just 'turned off.' That means anyone having this issue needs to go to where the plug-in drop down menu is and set it to 'no instrument,' while having to constantly click 'recover' in-between each click. I fear that those on slower systems may have even less time than I did in-between clicks as even on an M1 system it bogged Logic down badly in this tedious process.

Eventually though, when Bias FX 2 was purged from every track the error stopped coming up. So now I have absolutely no guitar processing on the project, but at least it's not a complete loss.

Thanks again.

Also, boo to Positive Grid for their expensive software not being compatible with one of the most common DAWs in the land, and boo to Apple who designed such a terrible process for malfunctioning plug-ins.

Since upgrading to Logic Pro 11 I constantly get an error saying "An Audio Unit plug-in reported a problem which might cause the system to become unstable. Please quit and restart Logic Pro."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.