recording from an old cassette deck onto a mac mini

I have a few old tapes which I want to save digitally. I have an aux cord connected to a USB which is then connected to my Mac mini. When I press "play" on the cassette tape, the computer is detecting something but I can't hear anything. (when I go System Settings - Sound - Input... it shows movement). A) how can I hear anything. B) How do I record/save it?

Thanks

Posted on May 16, 2024 5:38 PM

2 replies

May 16, 2024 5:47 PM in response to petermarni

petermarni wrote:

I have a few old tapes which I want to save digitally. I have an aux cord connected to a USB which is then connected to my Mac mini.
  1. Exactly what is the "aux cord connected to a USB?" What cables & specific USB device are these?
  2. What app are you using to record the audio?
  3. When you go to System Settings > Sound > Input is your "USB device" listed there or is it just "Internal Microphone?"

Even with everything connected & working to record, you will not normally hear the audio through the speakers in your Mac while you are recording ... unless your recording app has a setting called something like "Monitor" or "Play input through to output."

recording from an old cassette deck onto a mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.