How can I fix "Maps.app" not opening issue on my late 2014 Mac mini?

I have a Late 2014 Mac mini, 16GB Ram, 1 TB Storage, running Monterey 12 latest updates

for the last week or so, when I click on my Maps app icon, either on the dock, or in the Apps Folder, I get this popup message: "“Maps.app” is not open anymore."

Does it no longer run in Monterey? Was there an update that killed it?

do I have to resort to Google Maps? 😣😟☹️🧐 This is the screenshot of my problem. Weird phrasing.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac mini, macOS 12.7

Posted on May 16, 2024 7:00 PM

4 replies

May 17, 2024 2:42 AM in response to OIT

OIT wrote:

I have a Late 2014 Mac mini, 16GB Ram, 1 TB Storage, running Monterey 12 latest updates

for the last week or so, when I click on my Maps app icon, either on the dock, or in the Apps Folder, I get this popup message: "“Maps.app” is not open anymore."

Does it no longer run in Monterey? Was there an update that killed it?
do I have to resort to Google Maps? 😣😟☹️🧐 This is the screenshot of my problem. Weird phrasing.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/6563d77e-48f9-46c4-937b-d551c42428b3

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Is there any possibility that Maps is an older version from a previous version of macOS that was Restored from a Time Machine Backups ?

Nice machine from a time when one could open it up and upgrade both the Drive and RAM

Had a 2011 MM and did the same and it flew but only possible to run macOS 10.13 High Sierra

May 18, 2024 8:17 AM in response to PRP_53

“Is there any possibility that Maps is an older version from a previous version of macOS that was Restored from a Time Machine Backups ?”

No, I’ve never needed to restore this Mac Mini from a Time Machine backup.

AND, this problem only started a couple of weeks ago. I suspect that a “security update” (I have allow automatic updates tuned ON) is the culprit.

May 18, 2024 8:23 AM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

Waiting to retry doesn’t help. And Maps is the only app that I have trouble with.

plus, the wording of the error message is strange. Telling me that the Maps App is “no longer open” is quite unhelpful, when what I’m trying to do is to get the Maps App TO OPEN. I know it’s not open. That’s why I’m clicking on it! 😠😤 😡. (The Emoji is directed to Apple’s message writer, not to the good people on this forum!)

How can I fix "Maps.app" not opening issue on my late 2014 Mac mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.