music automatically plays on appletv when starting a video

When I hit play to start a video from an app on AppleTV, music automatically plays, and it takes several pause/play cycles to get the video to play and the music to stop.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 17

Posted on May 17, 2024 8:04 AM

2 replies

May 19, 2024 3:54 AM in response to weedies

I have not read about this issue before.

Do you start playback using the Siri Remote? Or from a software interface on another device?

Does it make a difference if you use the Select button (center of the touchpad) instead of Play/Pause button?

Did this happen for video in any app, or for a specific app in particular?

Can you find out where this music originates from? Is it from one of your Apple Music playlists?

May 19, 2024 6:08 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Yes, using the AppleTV remote. I typically use the center button to select play. I then use Play/Pause to interrupt the music and try to get the video to play. It seems to happen with any video, from Netflix, Hulu, Paramount+, Peacock, but I have not tested all apps. Doesn't seem to happen with YouTube. The music is playing from Apple Music on the AppleTV box. If the Music app is open and there was music on pause, it will continue to play that music. If the Music app was closed (as I often do to try and fix this issue) it will automatically play music at random from my library, without opening the Music app. Restart sometimes, but not always, helps. I should add that I had the same problem with the previous generation of the AppleTV box, and purchased a new one in December '23 hoping to resolve the issue. Now it is worse. The remote is frequently unresponsive or exhibits strange behavior: I will press the right or left side of the select ring to browse or advance; nothing will happen, then suddenly after a few seconds the selection on screen will fast forward (in either direction). The box is AppleTV 4K with Wi-Fi and Ethernet, tvOS 17.4. It is connected to a router via Ethernet. Audio is streamed to a Bluesound Node 2i connected to the stereo system. I now think it has something to do with the Bluesound Node. The problem does seem to happen when the Node is selected as the audio output speaker, not when the audio output is set to the TV. If I select the Node for audio before playing a video, the music starts. If I select the TV, it doesn't. If I start the video and then select the Node, it doesn't as well. Annoying.

music automatically plays on appletv when starting a video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.