Preview problem: unable to move shapes (annotation) after they've been re-sized

This is a new problem from what I can tell but if I create a shape via Annotations in Preview, it will create the shape and allow me to move it around the screen unless I try to resize it or if I click away by accident. After that point, the shape can't be selected again nor moved.

If I select and resize, I can still move it around using the cursor keys but not my mouse. And the moment I de-select it, it can't be reselected for any purpose.

I'm running OSX 14.4.1 off a 2020 MacBook Pro 13", M1

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 17, 2024 1:34 PM

3 replies

May 18, 2024 1:20 PM in response to a brody

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

May 18, 2024 1:13 PM in response to Oliver Wang1

Whether I use markup to insert a star shape in a PDF or the Annotation > Rectangle, I can resize and move all around the PDF page using my Apple Magic Mouse II. The hand shape has a narrow selection zone straddling the shape line, or in the case of the star shape, a hidden bounding box. As one reduces the shape's size this becomes more critical.

Preview problem: unable to move shapes (annotation) after they've been re-sized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.