Moving (not copying) photos

I keep waiting for Apple to catch up with other brands so that I can buy a new iPhone. Are we able to move (not copy) photos to albums on any of the new phones yet? If so, please let me know which one. Thanks!

iPhone 12, iOS 17

Posted on May 18, 2024 6:36 AM

3 replies

May 19, 2024 8:48 AM in response to SharonKmiec

You can leave suggestions for Apple here:

Feedback - Photos - Apple

Keep in mind that "moving" might not make so much sense in Photos. Pictures aren't exactly "in" an album. When you "put a picture into an album," its name is added to a list of pictures to display when the album is clicked. It's kind of like a music playlist, but for pictures. So two albums can both have the same picture name in their lists, and that picture will show up when you click either album. But there's only one picture-- it's just on multiple lists. And when you remove a picture from an album, its name remains in the lists of other albums, and the file still remains in your Library. 

When I "move" my coffee cup, it's implied that it can't be in two places at once. But that's not true for pictures in Photos-- they're just names on a list.

May 19, 2024 8:55 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to call it then. I know that I bought a Samsung phone last year, and I was able to easily move all of my photos in to albums, and not have the mess you get with an iPhone. It's so simple, and from what I've seen, so many people would like this addressed. I guess I'll just keep waiting. Thanks for your reply.

Moving (not copying) photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.