M4 11” iPad Pro significant reduction in audio/speaker quality

I’ve upgraded from a 2018 11” iPad Pro to the new M4 11” iPad Pro and I am actually shocked by how awful the audio quality sounds on the M4. Voices especially lack any clarity, sound muffled and I’m not any kind of audiophile, but it’s nearly insufferable to listen to. Maybe I’m just spoiled by the excellent speakers on the 2018 model, but certainly a now 6 year old device should not have better speakers than the 2024 new hotness. Strongly considering returning it and living with my geezer iPad for another year. 😭

Anyone else experiencing this? Any audiophiles that could say exactly what is going on and what are the chances that a software update could fix it? Thanks!

iPad Pro

Posted on May 18, 2024 12:41 PM

2 replies

May 19, 2024 11:52 AM in response to brmrb

I am listening to my new iPad Pro 11” as I reply to this, using an Apple Music piece I know well and it sounds perfectly good.

I suggest compare using an external headset or AirPods, to try and rule out a manufacturing defect.

if you are still not happy with the performance, your iPad is still within the 14 day return window, but the first step should be to have it checked by Apple. Contact Apple Support and if possible arrange a Genius Bar appointment where you can demonstrate the problem yourself to Apple’s in store genius.

May 19, 2024 12:09 PM in response to brmrb

Personally not experiencing any audio quality issues on my 11in M4 compared to my M2 or older iPad Pro. As mentioned though…you can definitely take advantage of the return/exchange period while you can. If there is a fix that can be addressed by an update it will be but no one can tell you when. So honestly, take advantage of your exchange option now just in case it is a hardware issue and isn’t something happening to all M4’s (which doesn’t seem to be the case since we would all have the same issue if it were). Or if you are near an Apple Store or a retailer that has displays available to test out go and see if the issue is something you can reproduce. That way you will know if you need to return for a refund if you absolutely can’t deal with the sound quality and don’t feel comfortable waiting until a fix is available if it will be. If you opt to wait it out and need a workaround you could use a Bluetooth speaker when possible or earphones. Not a fix of course but it is an option

M4 11” iPad Pro significant reduction in audio/speaker quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.