"No Cell Coverage" consuming a significant amount of battery

I've seen a few others report this issue in this support community, but no answers so far. I am from the US, but now live in Portugal, and I have an iPhone 13 Pro, with a Portuguese SIM card handling all my data, and a US eSIM (Tello) set to use Wi-Fi Calling. For the first year or so, I haven't had any problems.

But, a few months ago, I noticed declining battery life, with "No Cell Coverage" consuming a significant amount of battery. Sometimes as high as 60% or more. This only happens when I have the Tello eSIM turned on. When I turn it off, the problem goes away. When I was recently in the US, ad the Tello eSIM was able to connect to a cell phone tower, I did not have the problem. That tells me that it is the eSIM is likely the culprit.

Now my wife has a regular iPhone 13 (not the pro) and she does not have this problem. She has the exact same SIM/eSIM set up as I do, runs the same version of iOS. I've tried the "stare and compare" approach to checking my settings against hers, but with no luck. This tells me it is NOT a problem with the Tello eSIM attempting to connect to a cell phone tower, as my wife's phone would have the exact same problem. Also, I've had this configuration for nearly 2 years, but I have only seen this problem in the last 5 or 6 months.

Any ideas why my phone seems to be having this problem when using dual SIMs with an eSIM? For now, I have taken to turning off the eSIM when away from the house, but I would like to find a better solution.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

US eSIM (Tello) set to use Wi-Fi Calling. A few months ago, I noticed

declining battery life, with "No Cell Coverage" consuming a significant

amount of battery. Sometimes as high as 60% or more. This only happens

when I have the Tello eSIM turned on. When I turn it off, the problem

goes away. When I was recently in the US, ad the Tello eSIM was able to

connect to a cell phone tower, I did not have the problem.

Now my wife has a regular iPhone 13 (not the pro) and she does not

have this problem. She has the exact same SIM/eSIM set up as I do, runs

the same version of iOS. I've tried the "stare and compare" approach to

checking my settings against hers, but with no luck. This tells me it is NOT a problem with the

Any ideas why my phone seems to be having this problem when using

dual SIMs with an eSIM? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on May 19, 2024 1:44 AM

1 reply

May 19, 2024 2:27 AM in response to griz_fan

When you’re not connected to a cellular network, the iPhone once in a while tries to connect to the network, and that costs a lot of power.

Make sure that the E sim has connection before using it.

See this link to an earlier community discussion about this subject that might be helpful to you

"no cell coverage" is draining my battery. - Apple Community

"No Cell Coverage" consuming a significant amount of battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.