How to deal with fraudster on the App store?

I have been working for over an year on an AI app, which I uploaded on the App store. When the App was approved, a person from India (claiming they are in the UK) contact me to offer search optimisation and copyright services. Initially I didn't suspect anything and I said I will think about it.

Then an AI "adult" app with the same name appeared on the App store. The app it non functional, so when you install and try to chat with the AI it never returns a response, so am not sure how it was approved on the App store in the first place. I initially planned to spend thousands of pounds to promote my app through influencers, but the problem is this "adult" app shows up first in the search results. So I have spent an entire year for nothing? His app has semi nude women in the screenshot area.

I think that person is trying to blackmail me to buy his services. I have no idea what I can do. I asked him to meet me in Canary Wharf, but so far no response from him. I noticed he considers himself as a freelancer on Linkedin but have no idea how Linkedin approved his location.

What can I do?

iPhone 15

Posted on May 19, 2024 3:33 AM

4 replies

May 20, 2024 5:54 AM in response to dimitarfromgevgelija

dimitarfromgevgelija wrote:

I have been working for over an year on an AI app

That's a bad idea. AI is the new crypto. Its only purpose is to scam people and buy politicians. You don't want to be in that business.

a person from India (claiming they are in the UK) contact me to offer search optimisation and copyright services. Initially I didn't suspect anything and I said I will think about it.

So you responded to a e-mail scammer, eh?

Then an AI "adult" app with the same name appeared on the App store. The app it non functional, so when you install and try to chat with the AI it never returns a response

So you downloaded the app? You're not just a scam victim, you're a customer!

am not sure how it was approved on the App store in the first place.

The only things Apple can legally block are illegal apps. Even so, Apple has been far too strict on those illegal and scam apps, at least according to politicians. Government across the world are investigating Apple and forcing them to accept more scams into the app stores. The UK is no exception.

I initially planned to spend thousands of pounds to promote my app through influencers, but the problem is this "adult" app shows up first in the search results. So I have spent an entire year for nothing?

Nope. It sounds like you learned a valuable lesson and maybe saved a few thousand pounds. 😄

His app has semi nude women in the screenshot area.

Only "semi nude"? Well, that's an upgrade or in-app purchase opportunity.

I think that person is trying to blackmail me to buy his services.

When you dabble in these "hip" areas like security, VPN, crypto, AI, etc. you should expect all kinds of scams like this.

I have no idea what I can do. I asked him to meet me in Canary Wharf

You contacted someone working in organized crime and asked to meet them in person? Is this a joke post? Am I the one being scammed here?

I noticed he considers himself as a freelancer on Linkedin but have no idea how Linkedin approved his location.

What are you talking about? Do you sincerely think than anyone (other than Apple) "approves" anything that gets posted on the internet? People can post whatever they want. Scam is a huge, huge business and it sounds like you've been identified as a good target. Maybe if you're lucky, they'll just scam you out of your home and life savings and then let you alone. I've had one cyber-stalker (from the UK, no less) harass me for over a decade now.

What can I do?

Run?

If you want to write an app, fine. Write an app. Stay away from any scam topics like those I've mentioned above. Why did you want to write an AI app to begin with? Should I write my own app to compete with ChatGPT? Let's see what ChatGPT says...

Competing with ChatGPT would require significant expertise in natural language processing (NLP), machine learning, and computational linguistics, among other fields. While it's certainly possible to develop your own AI app, it's important to consider the considerable resources, time, and expertise required.

Here are a few factors to consider:

1. **Expertise**: Developing an AI like ChatGPT requires expertise in machine learning, deep learning, and NLP. You'd need a team with diverse skills, including data scientists, machine learning engineers, software developers, and domain experts in linguistics.

2. **Data**: Training a large-scale language model like ChatGPT requires vast amounts of data. You'd need access to large datasets and the computational resources to process and train on them.

3. **Infrastructure**: Training and deploying AI models require significant computational resources. You'd need access to high-performance computing infrastructure, which can be expensive to maintain.

4. **Research**: The field of NLP is rapidly evolving, with new techniques and advancements emerging regularly. Staying competitive would require continuous research and development efforts.

5. **Ethical Considerations**: Building AI models comes with ethical considerations, including data privacy, bias mitigation, and responsible deployment. Ensuring that your AI app adheres to ethical standards is essential.

If you're passionate about AI and have the resources to invest in such a project, it could be a rewarding endeavor. However, it's essential to recognize the challenges and complexities involved. Alternatively, you could explore collaborations or contribute to existing open-source AI projects to leverage existing resources and expertise.

In other words, don't believe a word of what an AI tells you.

May 20, 2024 10:10 AM in response to etresoft

This was a legal question that I don't have much experience with. I have built massive systems with NLP for one of the largest UK publishers, and am currently working for another UK media streaming company. I don't think AI is the end of the world, just like any other tech can be used for both good or evil.

I don't have much experience with legal things though.

As an immigrant myself, I have always felt compassionate for people from other countries. Maybe that is what makes me a bit naive but that's not something I can change easily.

I can see that Apple has a form you can submit to claim Trademark/copyright issues so that is what I did.

How to deal with fraudster on the App store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.