I need a formula for creating an order form in Numbers

creating an order form: on an order form in column B there is a drop to pick a fabric then column D-G are quantity of each size you want to buy. Column H is total quantity I is unit cost. Need formula that calculates total cost based on the fabric chose in column B. Any advise

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air (M2, 2023)

Posted on May 19, 2024 4:24 AM

6 replies

May 19, 2024 5:38 AM in response to patricia221

I am not sure I am understanding your spreadsheet. Column B is a pop up menu to pick a fabric but I do not understand having four columns to specify the amount/size. Usually it is one column to specify the amount for a given item.

The formula will be most likely require a lookup table and the XLOOKUP function to get the cost(s) per unit for each amount, with the fabric types listed in column A and the cost per unit listed in column B (or, in your case, it might be four columns of costs). Tell us more about the four columns of "sizes" and how they relate to each other and the cost per unit. I don't know if it will require four lookups or one lookup and some math.

May 19, 2024 6:01 PM in response to patricia221

It is simple to make a lookup table so that you can take your fabric choice from column B and get the dollars per unit amount ($ per sq yd. or whatever) for that type of fabric and that can be multiplied by the amount (sq yds or whatever) that is being bought but you mentioned four cells (D,E,F, and G) that have "quantity of each size" and I have no idea what that means. Is one sq inches, the next sq ft, the next sq yds, and the next some even larger unit of measure? Do each of these columns have different pricing per unit or is it just simple math (i.e., 1 sq ft is the same price as 144 sq inches, 1 sq yd is the same price as 9 sq ft, etc.).

Do you have a screenshot of the table you are creating? Can you post it here?

May 20, 2024 4:40 AM in response to patricia221

I'm not trying to be difficult but the order form you are describing is not complete.

Column B is the fabric.

Columns D-G will provide the cost for each size, which will be filled in using formulas that look up the prices from a table where you have all the prices for everything.

But where/how does someone enter the quantity of each (or any) size they wish to buy? It cannot be done in D-G because they have formulas in them.

Consider this instead:

Column B is the fabric from a popup menu

Column C is the size from another pop up menu (S, M, L, XL)

Column D is the price for one shirt of that fabric type and size, which is filled in using a formula that looks up the price from a table that has all the prices.

Column E is the quantity desired

Column F is the total cost for this row = column D x column E

I need a formula for creating an order form in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.