Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

iPhone: Muffled and Noisy Audio During Video Recording in Camera App

Dear Apple Community,

I'm experiencing an issue with muffled and noisy audio when recording videos using the Camera app on my iPhone. Interestingly, the audio quality is fine when using the Voice Memos app or third-party video recorders like Instagram.

The input quality of each microphone varies depending on which camera lens is used. Below is a detailed description of my tests and results for each microphone in different modes.

Problem Description:

• The microphones work fine in other applications, suggesting that the issue is specific to the Camera app.
  • Deactivating "Record Stereo Sound" did not resolve the problem for the rear cameras. For the front camera, this setting helps, but for the back cameras, it makes the sound completely inaudible.

Despite searching for solutions, I haven't found any fixes, though it seems this issue has come up for others as well. I hope someone can help figure out what's going on based on my test results.

Microphone Test Results (Stereo Sound ON):

Rear Camera:

• Lens 1x:
    • Earpiece mic: Dominant, bad quality
    • L/R bottom mic: Inaudible, mainly noise
    • Rear mic: Inaudible, mainly noise

• Lens 0.5x:
    • Earpiece mic: Dominant, bad quality

• Lens 2x:
    • Earpiece mic: Inaudible, mainly noise

Front Camera:

• Lens 1x:
    • Rear mic: Dominant, bad quality

Microphone Test Results (Stereo Sound OFF):

Rear Camera:

• Lens 1x, 0.5x, 2x:

Front Camera:

• Lens 1x:
    • Earpiece mic: Dominant, OK
    • L/R bottom mic: OK
    • Rear mic: OK

Voice Memos/Instagram:

• The sound was clear for each microphone, with the L/R bottom microphone being the dominant one in use.

Device Data:

• iPhone 12 Pro
  • iOS 17.4.1

If anyone has encountered this issue and found a solution, or has any insights based on the provided test results, your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Analytica

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on May 19, 2024 4:47 AM

1 reply

May 19, 2024 7:17 AM in response to Analytica

If you have a hearing or sound issue on your device then please try some of these processes to set it right

1. If you have a distorted sound issue on your iPhone --> If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad
  2. If you are not able to hear the other person, click this...>If you can't hear a person on a call or voicemail or if the sound isn't ...
  3. If you only hear through speakerphone mode --> If your iPhone is stuck in headphone mode - Apple Support
  4. If the other person is not able to listen to you then please click this to identify the issue --> If the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch aren't ...

If the above options do not mitigate the issues then Contact your carrier and then Contact Apple Support

iPhone: Muffled and Noisy Audio During Video Recording in Camera App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.