Voice to Text Issue adding descrip

I just started having this issue using voice to text and it adds descriptors. This also happens when callers leave me a message in voicemail. I have the latest IOS and voice control is off. I have searched for a solution online and it appears others have also complained about this with no answers.

Here is an example:

This is what happens when I\pronoun try to use voice to text .\period This also happens when callers leave me a\determiner voicemail message.

If I turn off Dictation, then I cannot VOT at all. Phone has been restarted as well.

Can someone help?

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on May 19, 2024 6:12 AM

3 replies

May 19, 2024 10:17 PM in response to BVGirl

Hi BVGirl, and welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Re: Voice to Text Issue adding descrip : voice control is off.

Am no expert in this area, yet your request for help surely deserves some response.

Wondering if you have any Accessibility settings for Voice to text turned on,

or

whether you are only using the iPhone's dictation settings:

Eg: Perhaps this feature is an option, in order to have more control:

For iOS 17: See how to: Dictate text on iPhone - Apple Support

says:

"You can also use typing and Dictation together—the keyboard stays open during Dictation so you can easily switch between voice and touch to enter text. For example, you can select text with touch and replace it with your voice."

Also says:

"To turn off (or on) automatic punctuation, go to Settings  > General > Keyboard, then turn off (or on) Auto-Punctuation."

Re: "Here is an example:

This is what happens when I\pronoun try to use voice to text .\period"

Wondering if the unneeded descriptors appear automatically, or reflect spoken commands.

Eg: Voice Control, when used, can switch back and forth between "Command mode" "Dictation mode" and "Spelling mode" to have more control over what text appears:

Use Voice Control to interact with iPhone - Apple Support

says:

Switch between dictation, spelling, and command modes

When you’re working in a text input area—for example, writing a document, email, or message—you can easily switch between three modes as needed:

• Dictation mode: The default—any words you say that aren’t Voice Control commands are entered as text.
  • If several words phonetically match what you say, they appear onscreen. Tap to choose the one you meant. (Available in select languages.)
  • Spelling mode: When you’re in dictation mode and need to spell out a word, say “Spelling mode.”
  • Note: Spelling mode is available for English (U.S.) or English (Canada).
  • Command mode: Voice Control responds only to commands. Other words are ignored and aren’t entered as text.
  • It’s especially helpful when you need to use a series of commands and want to prevent what you say from inadvertently being entered in a text input area.
  • To switch to Command mode, say “Command mode.”

To switch back to Dictation mode, say “Dictation mode.”

Re: This also happens when callers leave me a message in voicemail.

If you haven't already: you might want to turn on Live Voicemail, and see if that is more helpful:

Live Voicemail lets you automatically see a real-time transcription as someone is leaving you a message. You can even pick up the call as they’re leaving their voicemail.

To turn on Live Voicemail, do the following:

1. Go to Settings  > Phone > Live Voicemail.
  2. Tap to turn on Live Voicemail.

You can: Send a call to Live Voicemail

When you receive an incoming call and you want to send it to Live Voicemail, tap the Voicemail button

If you don't answer a call, it's also sent to Live Voicemail.

Above comes from: (and more info): Use Live Voicemail on your iPhone - Apple Support

If you wish: You can provide useful feedback:

If you want to provide feedback to Apple, they likely won't reply. Yet if others also experience a similar issue, your feedback may help contribute, and the issue may be addressed in a future update. iPhone feedback form: Feedback - iPhone - Apple

or

To provide feedback about an accessibility feature on an Apple product,

you can email the Accessibility team: accessibility@apple.com.

All the best :-)

May 20, 2024 3:31 PM in response to BVGirl

Thank you kindly for your thoughtful reply, and for providing the feedback to Apple.

Re: nothing that I have tried seems to remove those descriptors.

You may want to get in touch with Apple's Accessibility team for help with the issue.

Eg: see: How to contact Apple for accessibility support - Apple Support

or

Apple's Accessibility Support Website

(NB: You can "Get Support" from the link at the bottom of their website:)

Accessibility Support - Official Apple Support

Voice to Text Issue adding descrip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.