mission control keeps changing position of my app

I have disabled automatically rearranged spaces based on most recent use in mission control still when I open mission control (three-finger swipe up) it changes my app's positions.

Does anyone know how to resolve this, any help is appreciated 😇

Posted on May 19, 2024 7:03 AM

10 replies

May 20, 2024 10:02 AM in response to BiteIntoApple

BiteIntoApple wrote:

Yes the pic You have shown is the pic of Mission Control and all the apps are showing in order but when I reopen Mission Control the apps have changed their position safari is on the top left but it won't be at that position but it would have changed its position to someplace else.

What I do:- 3 finger swipe up > seen my app where it is > 3 finger swipe down > do some work > 3 finger swipe up > Now the apps have changed their position and I have to hunt for the app I want to go, in mission control again and again apps changing there position is a problem🙃

There is no control over the way the apps spread out and separate— that merely gives you access to the open applications on that Desktop...

The Mission Control across the top for Full screen apps remains the same order that you put them in...

you can use Command Tab for the HUD display (Heads Up Display) as an alternative to see all open application — you can navigate with mouse or use the Tab key (w/ Command held down.)

ex.

May 19, 2024 9:37 AM in response to BiteIntoApple

BiteIntoApple wrote:

Tried Safe Mode but still same!!

well, I can not reproduce your issue...

I would distill it down to the most simple... one Desktop, one full screen app, add a second full screen app and test in an effort to see when your error presents itself..

ref: See open windows and spaces in Mission Control on Mac - Apple Support

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

unplug all non-essential  peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

May 19, 2024 7:41 AM in response to BiteIntoApple

BiteIntoApple wrote:

I have disabled automatically rearranged spaces based on most recent use in mission control still when I open mission control (three-finger swipe up) it changes my app's positions.

A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

May 20, 2024 3:54 AM in response to BiteIntoApple

BiteIntoApple wrote:

If I understand correctly, your problem is not with Spaces, but with how the applications are shown when you enter Mission Control.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to control that.

Can you elaborate on what exactly is the problem?

When you open Mission Control, it will show you all the applications running in the current Space - like in the picture below. Is the problem that you'd like these applications to show there in specific positions within Mission Control? Or something else entirely (Please clarify)?

Perhaps for your workflow it would help if you made more use of Spaces?

May 20, 2024 4:13 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yes the pic You have shown is the pic of Mission Control and all the apps are showing in order but when I reopen Mission Control the apps have changed their position safari is on the top left but it won't be at that position but it would have changed its position to someplace else.

What I do:- 3 finger swipe up > seen my app where it is > 3 finger swipe down > do some work > 3 finger swipe up > Now the apps have changed their position and I have to hunt for the app I want to go, in mission control again and again apps changing there position is a problem🙃

mission control keeps changing position of my app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.