How to export photos including meta data from iPhone

Some of the photos that I have on my phone I’ve obtained from text, Facebook, or other sources, and apparently a lot of them do not have built-in shooting info such as date. The iPhone Photos just tags the photo with the date it was added to the phone. On the phone this is okay. But when I export these photos to my Mac, the Mac adds all of these under today’s date. I would very much like to export these photos so that they end up with the same date that is on the iPhone. For example, it a photo were added on the iPhone on Nov 1, 2019, I would like this to be imported on the Mac with the same date. Not today’s date. Today’s date is the default behavior, and so far I have not seen any other options for this.

Anyone have suggestions on how to retain the iPhone sorting/date info after importing to the Mac?

Thanks!

iPhone 11, iOS 17

Posted on May 19, 2024 9:22 AM

4 replies

May 20, 2024 7:36 AM in response to maxxjr

The date you see in Finder, a file management system, is the date the file was created, obviously today's date. But the image creation date is nonetheless stored in the metadata of the picture.

I just saved a picture from my iPad to iCloud Drive (easier than an external drive, for me), and the picture from 2005 had today's date in Finder, of course, but here is a look at the metadata:

Here you can see today's date for the File Modification Date.

But here:

you can see that the Image Create Date was Dec 21, 2005. Both dates are part of the file, but this Image Create Date is the date that is shown in Photos when I re-import it. Photos is an image management system rather than a file manager, and so it shows the date you're expecting-- just as other image systems will do.

You can use apps like the free ExifTool Reader to see the metadata. (I used another app, GraphicConverter.)

By the way, you can use GraphicConverter ($40) in Finder to copy the Image Date to the File Date, if you like.

May 19, 2024 10:49 AM in response to maxxjr

Many social media sites like Facebook, WhatsApp etc nuke internal metadata. File dates are very fragile and are often updated when moving images around. I often take note of "keeper" images' received or other date inside such social media apps, transfer them to the Mac and insert there my best guess internal metadata date and location to them. For the very best images I might ask for the original image because often also the resolution and other pixel data might have beed deteriorated in those 3rd party apps and mailing systems.

...I recently had to move such an old archived image about 2 years forwards when my daughter kept nagging "I did not yet have that kind of hair style as this picture claims"...

May 20, 2024 6:00 AM in response to Matti Haveri

This is the point and why I’m asking…I am just now finding out about this and I already have a few hundred photos nicely sorted by the date originally downloaded in the Photos app on the phone. Trying to get the photos off the phone for backup loses the sorting. I’m hoping there is some way to get the photos off with the sorting preserved.

For anyone that’s tried to export from the phone Photos App to a USB drive directly connected to the phone, does this preserve the phone sorting?

May 20, 2024 7:09 AM in response to maxxjr

I'd try different workflows and see what best preserves any date that might be the correct one: internal metadata DateTimeOriginal, as well as numerous other usually less important internal metadata dates (you can check them with GraphicConverter, A Better Finder Rename, exiftool etc). File creation or modification dates are fragile but routing the images via iCloud might now better preserve them. Try also Image Capture or directly to Photos via USB, and also via different AirDrop settings. Do not delete the images from the phone until you are sure there is no important date related info there. Different iOS and macOS versions might produce different results so I am sorry not to be able to give a definitive answer.

How to export photos including meta data from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.