Copy-paste from .pdf produces weird characters

Copy-pasting some formulas from the page below yields weird characters (macOS 14 Safari, Firefox, Preview.app, Windows 10 Edge).

For example, in the beginning of the page the formula for the area and volume of a sphere is "􏰀􏰁4π􏰂􏰃; 􏰄􏰁43π􏰂􏰅" when pasting to BBEdit 15 or LibreOffice writer 24.

Those two first characters seem to be:

􏰀

PRIVATE USE AREA-10FC00

Unicode: U+10FC00, UTF-8: F4 8F B0 80

􏰁

PRIVATE USE AREA-10FC01

Unicode: U+10FC01, UTF-8: F4 8F B0 81

Does that .pdf use some uncommon unicode characters? Is it possible to copy-paste and view them correctly maybe by installing a font (Last Resort maybe)? Or does it display the formulas as graphics, not as copyable text? I heard that a few months ago copy-paste from that page worked correctly so maybe it was updated after that.

https://www.laaketieteelliset.fi/site/files/kaavaliite_2024.pdf

In Safari, Firefox and in Preview.app the formulas display OK:

Mac mini

Posted on May 19, 2024 10:09 AM

2 replies

May 20, 2024 10:50 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks for the info.

I am asking this to help a student taking an exam. I heard that a few months ago copy-paste from that page worked so it might have changed now for the worse. It seems SymbolMT is not freely available and I wonder why that site now uses such rare font in their tutor pages. Another related site even advices the user to make sure they can copy the formulas from the .pdf before going to the exam. But maybe the choice for good math symbol fonts is limited so they had to make this change.

Copy-paste from .pdf produces weird characters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.