Use two airport bases to extend wifi

i want to use 2airport base stations to extend my wifi coverage area i have one already hooked to my modem and has credentials to sign into my ISP. how do i hook up the second one

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on May 19, 2024 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2024 9:21 PM

Although you said that you had an AirPort Extreme, it sounds like you really have an AirPort Time Capsule, which is an AirPort with a built in hard drive.

An AirPort Extreme is a router only. There is no data stored on an AirPort Extreme, because it does not have a hard drive.

The Hard Reset above will not affect any of the data stored on an AirPort Time Capsule, which is what it appears that you have.

You would have to perform a completely separate and deliberate "Erase Disk" operation to erase the data on the Time Capsule.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2024 9:21 PM in response to MarkHLewis

Although you said that you had an AirPort Extreme, it sounds like you really have an AirPort Time Capsule, which is an AirPort with a built in hard drive.

An AirPort Extreme is a router only. There is no data stored on an AirPort Extreme, because it does not have a hard drive.

The Hard Reset above will not affect any of the data stored on an AirPort Time Capsule, which is what it appears that you have.

You would have to perform a completely separate and deliberate "Erase Disk" operation to erase the data on the Time Capsule.

May 19, 2024 8:01 PM in response to MarkHLewis

Power up the 2nd AirPort and perform a Hard Reset on the AirPort by holding in the reset button on the back of the device for 8-10 seconds, then release the reset button and allow a full minute for the AirPort to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Connect the Ethernet cable from the "main" AirPort to the "O" port on the 2nd AirPort

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac

Click on the Other Wi-Fi Devices button

Click on AirPort xxxxxx

That will start up the setup process

After a few seconds, you will see a screen that looks like this, except you will see your devices displayed:

Type in a name that you want to call the 2nd AirPort

Click Next, and the next screen will look like this:

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done......and you are done.

Use two airport bases to extend wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.