Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Trouble accessing download file

Hello, I am unable to locate my downloads file anywhere on my laptop and therefor. I have tried all of the steps that one user suggested on this site: https://www.macgasm.net/data-recovery/deleted-downloads-folder-mac/#:~:text=3.-,Check%20Finder%20Favorites,a%20case%20of%20accidental%20dragging., but I was only able to locate a "downloads file" which doesn't appear to actually be the true downloads folder (since it doesn't show the classic arrow-down; see screenshot below). Any thoughts as to where/how I can restore my downloads?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 9, 2023 8:32 AM

10 replies

May 9, 2023 8:59 AM in response to mzbelle

mzbelle wrote:

Hello, I am unable to locate my downloads file anywhere on my laptop and therefor. I have tried all of the steps that one user suggested on this site: https://www.macgasm.net/data-recovery/deleted-downloads-folder-mac/#:~:text=3.-,Check%20Finder%20Favorites,a%20case%20of%20accidental%20dragging., but I was only able to locate a "downloads file" which doesn't appear to actually be the true downloads folder (since it doesn't show the classic arrow-down; see screenshot below). Any thoughts as to where/how I can restore my downloads?

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/42366aa9-fb59-4292-bb36-727807cc575c

Downloads— Use folders in the Dock on Mac

ibooks see: "Change your settings for downloads and purchases"

ref Download purchased and updated books or audiobooks in ...

May 9, 2023 1:55 PM in response to mzbelle

Right-click on the Downloads file and choose "Show Original" to see where it is pointing to. You may have to delete it for the correct Downloads folder to appear.

Where is your download location in Safari at: Safari > Settings > General > File Download Location. Can you select Downloads from here after the Downloads alias is deleted?

It appears you are using iCloud for your Desktop and Documents folder which is fine. Some users have tried creating a Downloads alias in the Library folder to point to the iCloud Drive Desktop or Documents folder to have those backed up to iCloud as well. This is what may be happening in your case.

May 9, 2023 9:05 AM in response to mzbelle

So if you click on the desktop to make Finder active, and press ⇧+⌘+H it should open your Home folder which should contain by default the following folders:

Desktop

Documents

Downloads

Movies

Music

Pictures

Public

Sites

The problem is you are missing the Downloads folder?

The Downloads you located appear to be the one associated with iBooks and is not the same thing as your home folder Downloads.

By default you should not be able to easily delete nor move the Downloads folder as it's a protected folder. I was able to delete a test user accounts Downloads folder but I had to do it from Terminal using 'sudo rm -rf /Users/test/Downloads'.

The best way to restore a missing Downloads folder is to open Safari and try downloading something. Safari by default should be designated to use the ~/Downloads folder. If it's missing, Safari will recreate the Downloads folder and even include the nice icon on the folder with the down-arrow.

May 9, 2023 4:47 PM in response to mzbelle

You still have an alias / shortcut named Downloads. Did you right-click and click Show Original? That arrow means it is redirecting to somewhere else. If the alias / shortcut is broken and the original cannot be found. Then you can delete the ~/Downloads alias / shortcut and then go back to Safari and download something. Make sure Safari is set to use the Downloads folder. It probably wouldn't hurt to make Safari the default browser (System Settings -> Desktop & Dock -> Default Browser) even if temporarily. I don't think Chrome will trigger the necessary things in macOS like Safari will to recreate the Downloads folder.

Trouble accessing download file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.