Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

I forgot my iphone passcode. How do I recover it to unlock my phone?

I just got y Iphone about a week ago and I have forgotten my passcode since I use fingerprint verification to unlock it. Last night my phone died and now I'm locked out of it due to not remembering the passcode. I don't want to attempt log in so many ties that it disables my phone/line completely so I am trying to find out how to put my phone into recovery/reset mode so that I can get back into it. I am using a Samsung Chromebook so I'm not able to download ITunes to back it up prior to wiping and resetting it to unlock it due to the fact that there is no compatible file/software for the Chrome OS. Hopefully I have a recent back up on my Apple account online but I haven't checked yet. I understand that I will lose all data stored to the phone and all my preferences and setting will be wiped or reset to default. I just need to knnow the proper steps to take to put my phone into recovery mode so I can fix this issue. Thank you so very much!

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2024 7:28 AM

I have another iPhone and I don’t have my thumb Id programmed in it and I don’t remember the password I’ve watched a couple videos on how to reset the code but I don’t have a Mac book. So how do I reset the code without a MacBook??

18 replies

Oct 1, 2023 7:09 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Yes, I realized this now. Thank you for the solid advice. I will definitely be using my passcode and keeping it written down in a safe place moving forward. My concern is that every tutorial on doing a factory reset and putting the phone into recovery mode says you need to hav it connected to a mac or pc. I have a chromebook and am unable to get itunes downloaded on here in order to do that. Is the only reason for connecting to a computer with itunes for downloading a back up onto the phone after the reset? Am I able to factory reset and recover the phone without using a computer at all?

Mar 5, 2024 2:31 AM in response to Jamiee116

Jamiee116 wrote:

Hey there! No worries, getting locked out of your iPhone is frustrating, but there's a way to get back in by putting your iPhone into recovery mode. This way will wipe your iphone.

If you don't want to erase everything on your iPhone, you can try other methods:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255505405?sortBy=best

PS: Restoring your iPhone will erase all data and settings. If you have an iCloud backup, you can restore it after the process.

May 31, 2024 10:59 PM in response to remalu

If you forgot the passcode on your iPhone, or your iPhone is disabled or unavailable -

Click on the link for instructions on how to reset your passcode without a computer if you have iOS 15.2 or higher.

If you see a iPhone, iPad, or Apple Vision Pro unavailable message or Security Lockout screen - Apple Support

Click on the link for instructions on how to reset your passcode using a computer.

If you forgot your iPhone passcode, use your Mac or PC to reset it - Apple Support

Oct 1, 2023 6:59 AM in response to JesstheImperialist

Please do yourself a favor. Neither Touch ID nor Face ID is a replacement for a passcode. There will be times you MUST enter the passcode in the phone, like after powering it off and then turning it back on or to update the phone as two examples, will ALWAYS require you enter the passcode. As such, since you will likely not enjoy having to erase your phone and start all over again, which is not fun, when you get back in and create a new Passcode, WRITE IT DOWN somewhere for safe keeping and easy recall in the future.

I forgot my iphone passcode. How do I recover it to unlock my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.