Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iPhone 15 Pro / Max camera blurry and won't focus

As per the title. My iPhone 15 Pro Max doesn't focus closely when I use apps that require the camera.

example, application to read barcodes

or whatsapp

Is it just me who has this problem?

It doesn't happen on my iPhone 13 Pro Max

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 12:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2023 4:21 PM

Bought the phone 15 days back and I am already upset with the camera quality. Upgraded from 11 Pro max, not sure if this was actually an upgrade! Had my scheduled session with Apple support team and even she admitted an issue with the camera quality. I thought it might be the camera protector which is causing grainy images but now I see a lot of people facing this issue. Is this getting fixed anytime soon?? I literally upgraded just for the camera and I am so disappointed :(

88 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2023 4:21 PM in response to sparkettaccio

Bought the phone 15 days back and I am already upset with the camera quality. Upgraded from 11 Pro max, not sure if this was actually an upgrade! Had my scheduled session with Apple support team and even she admitted an issue with the camera quality. I thought it might be the camera protector which is causing grainy images but now I see a lot of people facing this issue. Is this getting fixed anytime soon?? I literally upgraded just for the camera and I am so disappointed :(

Nov 15, 2023 11:19 AM in response to K_Faith

This is totally unhelpful none of these trouble shoots are work. 15Pro max camera is absolutely AWFUL. My iPhone X camera was much better than this one! Rear facing is atrocious but I am not a selfie taker (although it sucks that FaceTime and livestreams will look terrible), so I don’t care so much about that; but the front facing!!!!😭😭😭😱 SO SO BAD!

I am very versed in and skilled with the camera and camera settings on both Apple and Samsung phones and I have tried everything. It’s just simply a poor quality camera. I am so disappointed

Nov 23, 2023 3:24 PM in response to KaeBFly

I ended up opening a case & after several escalation was a on the phone with someone who agreed this was an issue & offered to escalate to Dev; right when they were in the middle of guiding me to collect diagnostics our call was disconnected. The person I ended up talking to after calling back tried to argue that the behavior I described (blurry pics when using Scan Documents in Notes) was actually expected, working as (incredibly poorly) designed. I didn't want to argue how ludicrous that was & left on a note that they would contact Dev anyway & get back. No news so far...

Oct 16, 2023 11:01 PM in response to K_Faith

seems like iPhone 15 pro switch different lenses pretty well in the default camera app but other apps using camera functionality does have this support.

For example:

* Open WhatsApp chat and click + and click camera

* Now try moving the phone close to any object it will start blurring.

* I tried Facebook, Snapchat and a few other apps. Problem exists across all these apps.

* try the same with iMessages app and it uses the default camera app and it’s able to focus properly by switching lenses.

Dec 22, 2023 2:26 PM in response to sparkettaccio

My wife's iPhone 15 Pro Max does not focus for photos using the .5x and 1x lens, the 5x lens works correctly. Video doesn't focus for any lens. She has been working with Apple Support to fix the focus problem, with no success. Apple engineering claims it's a software problem and they’re working on it.

This appears to me a hardware problem. I am an electrical engineer with much computer experience. Apple diagnostics doesn't detect the failure. You can see the problem with your eyes, the diagnostic is deficient.  

I have the same iPhone, and mine focuses correctly on each lens. Identical camera's using the same software, where only one fails, is a definite indicator of a hardware failure. 

We have asked Apple to replace her iPhone. By declaring this a software problem, Apple prevents the support team from a costly replacement of failing iPhones. There are a lot of iPhones that have the focus problem.  

Apple is trying to find a software workaround for this hardware problem, but have not succeeded so far.  It's now Christmas season and many Apple customers with the flagship iPhone have a useless camera.

Has anyone found a workaround so my wife can take Christmas photos? Does this problem also occur on other iPhone 15 models?

iPhone 15 Pro / Max camera blurry and won't focus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.