Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

iPhone is always asking for passcode even though Face ID is enabled

iPhone is repeatedly asking me for my password even though Face ID is enabled. This is not after the allotted time where passwords is required or upon reset. I’ll open my phone, it’ll ask for passwords. Then 1 minute later I’ll open my phone and it’ll ask for password again

Posted on Oct 21, 2023 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2024 8:33 AM

I'm having a similar (possibly the exact same) issue. I have Face ID set up and have a password (since it's required to enable Face ID). In the "Face ID & Passcodes" settings, I have all the "Use Face ID For" options turned on, all "Attention" options turned on, and "Stolen Device Protection" turned off. The only "Require Password" option I have is "Immediately", even though under the "Display & Brightness" settings I have "Auto-Lock" set to "Never". This would almost be fine if (1) I simply never want to lock or restart my phone, shut the screen off, or let it die; and (2) always have both hands and all fingers available, dry, and clean, to use the keypad and keyboard when downloading an app, using Wallet, installing updates, logging in to accounts, saving passwords, auto-filling information, etc.

It seems as though there is no setting to actually be able to use Face ID even though I set it up. If this is the case, why would there even be an option for Face ID if I can't use it in place of a passcode/password for anything. The only workaround I've found is shutting off the passcode entirely, which is not ideal considering that would leave my phone (containing personal/sensitive information) completely unlocked for anyone to access.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2024 8:33 AM in response to nathan430

I'm having a similar (possibly the exact same) issue. I have Face ID set up and have a password (since it's required to enable Face ID). In the "Face ID & Passcodes" settings, I have all the "Use Face ID For" options turned on, all "Attention" options turned on, and "Stolen Device Protection" turned off. The only "Require Password" option I have is "Immediately", even though under the "Display & Brightness" settings I have "Auto-Lock" set to "Never". This would almost be fine if (1) I simply never want to lock or restart my phone, shut the screen off, or let it die; and (2) always have both hands and all fingers available, dry, and clean, to use the keypad and keyboard when downloading an app, using Wallet, installing updates, logging in to accounts, saving passwords, auto-filling information, etc.

It seems as though there is no setting to actually be able to use Face ID even though I set it up. If this is the case, why would there even be an option for Face ID if I can't use it in place of a passcode/password for anything. The only workaround I've found is shutting off the passcode entirely, which is not ideal considering that would leave my phone (containing personal/sensitive information) completely unlocked for anyone to access.

Oct 22, 2023 11:19 AM in response to churchill95

Hey churchill95,

We're grateful that you posted here so we can help you figure this out.

Based on what you're describing, we wanted to clarify a bit further what you're experiencing. You mentioned that it's asking for a password after unlocking your iPhone. To clarify, is it asking for your Apple ID password or is it your actual iPhone passcode? The passcode would be what you enter to unlock the screen and as you mentioned, Face ID should make the passcode unnecessary if it's working as expected. However, if it's asking for your Apple ID, this could be a different issue entirely which is why we ask.

If you'd like, you can reply back to this message with some more information and the community should be able to assist you further. If you share the context of any message you're seeing pop up, that could help illuminate exactly what you're experiencing.

We look forward to your reply.

Have a great day.

May 18, 2024 11:55 AM in response to churchill95

I’m having the EXACT SAME ISSUE with ALL my Apple products. MacBook Pro (2016), iPhone SE (2nd Gen), and iPad Pro (11”, 2nd Gen). Whether it’s setup with Fingerprint or Facial Recognition, I am constantly / regularly asked to enter my Password/Security Code (NO, NOT MY Apple I.D. - for you Apple “Techs”), even though I have SPECIFICALLY set up EVERYTHING possible to avoid needing to enter a gosh darned password every F’n time.

I completely understand that it is much easier for almost anyone to access my devices using Biometrics (as opposed to a good password), but it’s the choice I’ve made. That said, the point of it WAS NOT TO need to enter a password/code.

So what’s the deal Apple??? Have you any clue how to resolve this issue, or is it part of the planned, calculated, programming code to **** off your customers, and make it difficult to get into our devices? Why offer a OPTION”, when it clearly doesn’t work?

It’s downright annoying to begin with that you put out products with little-to-no R&D, and make your customers the R&D Guinea Pigs. Enough already. You charge a premium for your stuff, but put very little into them yourselves - you’re like the IKEA of electronics.

Dont bother asking what iOS I’m on, or which version soft/firmware I’m using, because apparently that doesn’t make a **** bit of difference judging by all the similar complaints I have seen in the forums (which encompass all models/years/etc/etc).

I WILL NEVER, EVER do another “UPDATE” / “PATCH”, on ANY device, ever again.

Thus far, your “Required Updates” have turned 4/5 of my (VERY EXPENSIVE) devices into F’N boat anchors/paperweights!

I’ve been told by your “GENIUSES” that if I don’t do the updates it could void my warranty, or cause “issues” - but doing them has LITERALLY destroyed otherwise perfectly functioning devices. So don’t wonder why I’m EXTREMELY sceptical about ANY Apple BS.

I digress.

Have you a resolution to to this QUITE OBVIOUS, WIDESPREAD ISSUE??

WE are waiting with baited-breath…

May 30, 2024 8:55 AM in response to charlesbank

I’m having the EXACT SAME ISSUE with ALL my Apple products. MacBook Pro (2016), iPhone SE (2nd Gen), and iPad Pro (11”, 2nd Gen). Whether it’s setup with Fingerprint or Facial Recognition, I am constantly / regularly asked to enter my Password/Security Code (NO, NOT MY Apple I.D. - for you Apple “Techs”), even though I have SPECIFICALLY set up EVERYTHING possible to avoid needing to enter a gosh darned password every F’n time.

I completely understand that it is much easier for almost anyone to access my devices using Biometrics (as opposed to a good password), but it’s the choice I’ve made. That said, the point of it WAS NOT TO need to enter a password/code.

So what’s the deal Apple??? Have you any clue how to resolve this issue, or is it part of the planned, calculated, programming code to **** off your customers, and make it difficult to get into our devices? Why offer a OPTION”, when it clearly doesn’t work?

It’s downright annoying to begin with that you put out products with little-to-no R&D, and make your customers the R&D Guinea Pigs. Enough already. You charge a premium for your stuff, but put very little into them yourselves - you’re like the IKEA of electronics.

Dont bother asking what iOS I’m on, or which version soft/firmware I’m using, because apparently that doesn’t make a **** bit of difference judging by all the similar complaints I have seen in the forums (which encompass all models/years/etc/etc).

I WILL NEVER, EVER do another “UPDATE” / “PATCH”, on ANY device, ever again.

Thus far, your “Required Updates” have turned 4/5 of my (VERY EXPENSIVE) devices into F’N boat anchors/paperweights!

I’ve been told by your “GENIUSES” that if I don’t do the updates it could void my warranty, or cause “issues” - but doing them has LITERALLY destroyed otherwise perfectly functioning devices. So don’t wonder why I’m EXTREMELY sceptical about ANY Apple BS.

I digress.

Have you a resolution to to this QUITE OBVIOUS, WIDESPREAD ISSUE??

WE are waiting with baited-breath…

iPhone is always asking for passcode even though Face ID is enabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.