Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Time machine says backup delayed

Time machine goes to almost complete (98%or so), then gives a message that says time machine delayed. I restarted time machine several times, same message when almost complete. Backup is to a NAS. Sonoma 14.0 worked fine until a day ago. Do not remember doing any updates since a good backup.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Nov 3, 2023 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2023 2:09 PM

Just did another try - AND WENT TO COMPLETION!!! Looks like your comment might be the reason, perhaps something had to be downloaded from iCloud??? Or maybe just a $$$magic fix. Thanks for taking the time to help.

29 replies

Nov 6, 2023 1:54 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Lots of available space. Always stops near the end - after many tries. Network speed does not appear to be an issue . Did speed checks , look good. Also, other MACS use the same NAS and go to completion. Finally gave up and did a reformat of the NAS thinking maybe an issue with the partial backups, not likely but desperate now. THen did a backup again . Went to near completion as usual, about 225GB, then errored out with this message.

"Time Machine did not finish backing up because some files were unavailable. Backups will resume when your Mac is unlocked."

I could find no setting in preferences under security that would cause this or how to identify the unavailable files. Any suggestions?

Nov 6, 2023 2:05 PM in response to BIGKID

Files can be un-available if your Mac went to sleep, or if you have engaged storing/sync-ing files on iCloud. The Master copies are then on iCloud, and the copies on your Mac may be removed whenever disk space gets tight. These files will be delivered from the cloud to your Mac 'when demanded' but it will take some time for them to arrive.

Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

DropBox, BackBlaze, OneDrive and others may have similar features, if you have engaged them.

Jan 17, 2024 6:14 PM in response to BIGKID

THIS MIGHT BE NEW INFORMATION. I have a military keyboard...it's not "disrespectful" or "shouting" but simply a keyboard that for other reasons always operates in all CAPs unless I go to settings and change it. Normally in my work I don't do that.

I have had the backup delayed problem for months and tried it on and off no change. I have verified the backup and had that complete successful without changing the outcome of my backup operations. I've wondered whether the files relocated by iCloud were the ones referred to in the comments.

With so much located on the cloud drive, it stands to reason that iCloud might be updating one or more files practically all the time.

so I went to this screen and noticed that the top 3 times has clouds next them and showed me I think they are located on iCloud drive. the "desktop" items with 17gb includes most of my drive.

So I clicked the various clouds and it began to download these items to my drive. As it is shown now, they are completely downloaded and for the first time in several month my time machine backup (to my time capsule) works as it always has. Completed after a very long backup. about 1.41tb on the 2tb time capsule.

Now this may not apply to everyone having this issue. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to try downloading everything iCloud thanks is located in the cloud to see how that impacts this issue.

Apr 28, 2024 5:25 PM in response to BIGKID

Hello, I am facing the “Backup Delay” issue as well except that on my end, Time machine stops backing up after it reaches 20% and then it says “Te backup disk is not available. Make sure the disk is connected…”. I know for a fact everything is connected, but it just stops all of the sudden. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Nov 3, 2023 3:42 PM in response to BIGKID

Connect to the NAS with file sharing.

When looked at from the Mac with Finder, how is the space in the Mac Volume on the NAS?

On a NAS, the Mac backup volume is almost certainly a Mac Volume simulated inside a File (a Sparse Bundle Disk Image) That works fine as long as it does not exceed a certain size, then the image may have to be expanded to hold more stuff. That expansion process can take a while.

Nov 6, 2023 3:20 PM in response to BIGKID

Glad you got it sorted out.

My notes suggest Time Machine shared backup destinations (for storing on another Mac's shared drive across your network) were first available for macOS 10.13 High Sierra. Storing on a NAS has been available MUCH longer, provided the NAS was well-behaved enough to support creating a Mac Volume inside a file (sparse bindle disk image).

Nov 16, 2023 8:50 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hello -- I've just joined the community.. I'll try to keep this brief.

I have three USB drives I use for backup - let's call them D1, D2 and D3.

With D1 and D2 I get the "Backup delayed" message. What's more the TM menu top lines say that my previous backup was to D3, many days ago.

Grant says the cause could be a dodgy connection to the backup drive. I've now tried backing up again to D1, then D2, using different USBA-USBC connectors in each case. Same result.

When I drag to the "Backup Delayed.." TM menu item, I'm told TM couldn't complete the backup to D3. As if it had been trying to..

Grant also pointed out that if you hold down Option while you click on the Time machine icon on the menubar, "Backup Now" changes to "Verify Backups". I hadn't known that! When I tried "Verify Backups" TM told me it was verifying the backup to D2, the drive I'd just backed up.

Which looked promising - it's verifying D2, not D3.

And when it finished, reported the correct time I'd backed up D2.

So that's good. BUT the TM menu still says that my most recent backup was to D3, many days ago.

Bottom line: TM seems to be backing up perfectly, but its messages are misbehaving. I can live with that till Apple fixes it.

Dec 2, 2023 6:43 PM in response to BIGKID

Hello All,

This is my first post to this forum too. I have an Intel iMac running 14.1.2. For many years I have been using two directly connected LaCie drives for my TM backup on an alternating basis; one drive is always 'off site'. Since upgrading to Sonoma I have noticed that one of the backups kept failing [ LaCie USB 3 + Firewire 800 interface ]. The other LaCie drive started failing occasionally [ Thunderbolt interface ]. In desperation I reformatted the USB 3 drive to see if there was a problem with the drive that fsck didn't find. I commenced a new backup and it ground to a halt after around 24 hours. I purchase a new LaCie drive [ USB C ] and set it up as a new TM. That backup took just under 24 hours to complete. Now I keep getting 'Backup Delayed' messages.

I do NOT have iCloud enabled to / from my iMac and I do not use any other 'Cloud' storage from my iMac.

I do not believe that there is a problem with my 3 LaCie drives. I have found nothing to indicate that any of the drives are faulty. The available storage on all 3 LaCie drives is greater than the used space in my iMac. Prior to Sonoma the two TM backups were flawless.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Dec 2, 2023 7:50 PM in response to w.hill

<<. I have found nothing to indicate that any of the drives are faulty. >.

the steps you have taken so far are not adequate to ensure no Bad Blocks.

Disk Utility FirstAid/RepairDisk should rightly be named 'Repair Disk DIRECTORY'

It and its low-level Terminal command fsck do not read ANY blocks outside to the Directory area.

If your drive is a few years old, and has developed some Bad Blocks, it could be slowed by re-reading Bad Blocks, hoping for an error correction to yield good data. Worst case for ONE Bad Block on a rotating magnetic drive is a quarter MINUTE per block.

a SMART Utility that can read out the SMART details and show you the counters, such as DriveDX, can help you understand whether you have un-repaired "Pending Bad Blocks".

ERASE and start over repairs all Bad Blocks in most cases, unless the drive runs out if spare blocks.

Dec 2, 2023 7:50 PM in response to w.hill

So, no other MACS on iCloud sharing your files. MY delay issue went away when I reformatted my disk in question. The USB direct connect drive always did OK. I also changed going to sleep time at the same time which may have been causing the issue. Look at that . Else, I cannot offer any suggestions.

Time machine says backup delayed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.