Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MacBook M3 Pro Max with optimized battery charging, battery stays at 80%. Orange light on MagSafe usually indicates charging, but it is not charging with optimized battery. Is there a way to make the light green or another color for this situation?

On the newer silicon MacBooks, if you leave your MacBook plugged in most of the time, optimized battery charging will only charge it up to 80%. But MagSafe stays orange, which traditionally means it is charging, in this case it is not charging. Seeing the orange color all the time is distressing. If Apple can't create a third color, say, blue for this type of situation, the color should become green when it is charged to the maximum 80% for battery maintenance under optimized battery charging. I gather from there being no real answer to a similar question a couple years ago that there is no solution, or is there?

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Jan 22, 2024 6:48 AM

10 replies

Jan 22, 2024 8:03 AM in response to Red and Blue

As you know, the LED in the connector is there to tell you the charging status. It is what it is, and there is no path for us users to change that.

However, as you suggest, using other colors to indicate different status is not a bad idea. 👍🏽

These forums are peer-to-peer support, and Apple don't much participate. But if you wish, you can leave product feedback or submit a request for features consideration using this link –

Product Feedback - Apple

Jan 22, 2024 9:12 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Yeah, since it's in the MagSafe plug itself I figured there wasn't much to do about it. As far as the suggestion for a different colored light, I think it is a good idea also, which is why I suggested it, but as far as feedback, I'm a bit feedbacked out. I just sent a security and privacy report after talking to four different AppleCare representatives including a senior advisor, last week, regarding what may be an operating system bug, but I can't find out. Nothing I tried to remedy the situation, from safe mode to guest user to reinstalling the OS helped on my roughly one month old MacBook M3 Pro Max. I submitted the report because there is potentially a privacy concern, but I got word back that they did not find a security issue. I left another comment in which I asked whether they could reproduce the issue, so I could know if it's a operating system or hardware issue, or something only on my system, and if they just didn't consider it a security issue regardless of it it's a bug or not, and they sent me another notice of an update in the case, where I saw that the case was closed, and I could not make another comment.

Jan 22, 2024 9:17 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

I expect what Apple will do in response to your observations I so revise the DOCUMENTATION.

The updated documentation will likely reflect that when you have invoked 'Optimize battery charging', the light will stay amber to indicate, that you should leave it connected, as your Mac is managing it. (Don't touch it, or you change the conditions and it will have to re-train.)

Jan 22, 2024 10:21 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I understand the behavior, I was just saying that after years of viewing Amber as the process of charging, I guess it takes a while to get over that it is not actively doing something. I do leave it as it is--it took about three weeks to train it since I got my MacBook--it started its visible calibration activity after about two weeks. I was just suggesting a third color for the 80% setpoint or so when it is on optimized battery, although I can easily look at my top menu bar to see the percentage charged. I wonder if it's beneficial to maybe once or twice a month let it go down another 20% or else charge it to full and let it go down again to keep it from being in a rut if it ever ever gets in a rut from being at 80% all the time.

Jan 22, 2024 11:27 AM in response to Red and Blue

<< I wonder if it's beneficial to maybe once or twice a month let it go down another 20% or else charge it to full and let it go down again to keep it from being in a rut if it ever ever gets in a rut from being at 80% all the time. >.

That is already part of what optimized battery charging does for you.

You are therefore free to spend ALL of your energy on your important work, and None of your energy thinking about whether your battery is been managed properly.

Jan 22, 2024 11:46 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Well, that's what it's supposed to do, but it may not be perfect. As far as I can tell it keeps it at 80% if you basically use your MacBook like a desktop. The battery management app Al Dente, claiming they get their information from Battery University, has a paid upgrade that supposedly maintains your battery calibration by periodically discharging it to 0% or 15% (I've seen them say both) maybe twice a month, claiming that keeping it at 80% it will affect the accuracy of the calibration. Maybe they are just trying to make money with the extra feature upgrade. From my experience, discharging the battery to 0% permanently decreases the maximum charge capacity by several mAh. Unless, and here's the catch, what seems like a reduction in maximum charge capacity, is actually a more accurate recalibration. But I doubt that.

Apr 28, 2024 2:31 PM in response to Trollburner1801

I'm not sure why it's at 97% but that sometimes happened before so-called optimized bought recharging feature was added and it had a built-in feature that let it drain to about 97% before charging up again. Unplug your charger from the wall outlet for a minute or two, and also unplug and replug the USB cable from the charger. Sometimes so-called dirty electrical signals in the wall plug keep the charger from operating properly.

MacBook M3 Pro Max with optimized battery charging, battery stays at 80%. Orange light on MagSafe usually indicates charging, but it is not charging with optimized battery. Is there a way to make the light green or another color for this situation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.