Apple Music doesn't work after Sonoma 14.3 update

MBP 2021. Since updating to 14.3 last night, Music will not play any tracks from my library. If I try to play from an album, nothing happens at all. If I try to play from a playlist, I get the beachball and have to force quit. I'm a music teacher and use these playlists every day, please advise!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 23, 2024 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2024 12:46 AM

This worked for me and was quite painless, so hopefully, it may help some of you also.

I went into Music>>Settings>>Files and changed the location of my Music Media Folder, which then generates a new Library file but doesn't move the audio files. I then went back in and changed it again, back to it's original location and the Library file rebuilt again, after which Music worked perfectly.

58 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2024 12:46 AM in response to iancjazz

This worked for me and was quite painless, so hopefully, it may help some of you also.

I went into Music>>Settings>>Files and changed the location of my Music Media Folder, which then generates a new Library file but doesn't move the audio files. I then went back in and changed it again, back to it's original location and the Library file rebuilt again, after which Music worked perfectly.

Feb 13, 2024 3:06 PM in response to iancjazz

Here is what seems to work for me. The problem is in the permissions. Apparently Sonoma didn't update properly.

Go to Settings/Privacy & Security/Files and Folders, scroll down to Music and enable "Removable Volumes." My music files are on an external USB drive. I enabled some other things in Privacy settings related to Music, but I think this is the one that worked.

Feb 6, 2024 1:30 AM in response to iancjazz

I have files in different locations, none in my media folder. What worked for me was selecting all of my tracks in Apple Music > right click > services > show in finder > with all of the tracks still selected in finder > right click > open

It will open (relink) all your tracks and they should work. Hope this helps someone else

Apple Music doesn't work after Sonoma 14.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.