Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How do I completely wipe the hard drive on an old iMac?

I migrated all data from old iMac to my new one. I need to recycle the old iMac, but I want to fully sanitize (for security purposes) that hard drive before disposing the unit. How do I do that?

Thanks, Vince

[Edited by Moderator]

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 7:53 AM

16 replies

Apr 28, 2024 7:58 AM in response to vbbuilt

unless you wish to physically damage the drive then this should be enough

What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

unless you're a secret angent then it will likely be enough as, the time effort and money it would cost people to attempt to salvage data from the hd would be high and unless your data was real "gold" then likely not worth it.

Apr 28, 2024 9:27 AM in response to vbbuilt

You can't erase the volume that you are currently booted from. It is like asking a mechanic to disassemble the engine of a car that is still running. Not going to happen.

You need to boot into macOS Recovery (as the Apple Support articles describe), or boot from an external drive containing an installation of macOS, to be able to erase the internal installation of macOS.

On very old Macs that predate Recovery mode and that came with optical discs for reinstalling Mac OS X, you would boot the Mac from the recovery CD/DVD and proceed to erase it and reinstall the OS from there.

Apr 28, 2024 2:38 PM in response to vbbuilt

vbbuilt wrote:

Well, I explained earlier the erase option under Disk utility is gray out, no joy, thanks.

Vince

You must be booted from a different volume than the one that you are trying to erase.

You need to use Disk Utility while booted into Recovery – in which case, you would probably be allowed to erase the partition containing the main macOS installation, but not the Recovery partition. Or use it while booted from an external drive.

If you have a bootable clone backup around, you could boot off of it and then erase the internal drive.

If you don't, you could put a copy of macOS onto an external drive (either via clean install, or by making a clone backup with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!), boot from that external drive, then erase the internal drive.

How do I completely wipe the hard drive on an old iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.