Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

In case of an emergency situation

Hello,

Tonight while sitting down, I saw a video on Instagram. A man flying a glider in the middle of a desert suddenly lost control of the glider while filming himself, and crashed to the ground from about 30 meters high. Screaming in pain, he called the emergency hotline from his phone or watch. He also got help from Siri while making the call. After the video, emergency teams arrived at the man’s location and rescued him. After watching this video, I had a few questions. Since I am a software engineer myself, I thought there might be some mechanisms developed to work in such emergency situations. Here are my questions:

• Does my phone automatically share its location with emergency services during such emergencies? If so, how does it do this? Does it send data to a predetermined server over the internet, or does it simply send an SMS? If it’s neither of these methods, then what is it?

• Let’s say my phone or watch is about to run out of battery during such an emergency. Is there a special mechanism in place to ensure the continuity of my communication with emergency services, either software- or hardware-based? For example, suspending or disabling all services on the phone except those supporting the conversation with the emergency unit (to use the remaining battery power for emergency purposes).

• Let’s say the phone’s battery is completely dead. Is there still a mechanism in place for background location sharing?

I hope I never have to use it, but I wanted to ask these questions out of curiosity.

Thank you in advance 🙏🏼

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 1:27 PM

2 replies

Apr 28, 2024 1:45 PM in response to sberman

Thank you very much for your quick response 🙏🏼 I read everything in the link you sent. It answers some of my questions. However, some of my questions are still unanswered. Do you have any information about them? If you’d like to share, I’d be happy.

Or if there’s anyone reading this who would like to enlighten me about my remaining questions, I would be very pleased.

In case of an emergency situation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.