Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Bin fills up with ini.files - unable to delete

My mac book pro, just started today loading ini.files into my bin? When I delete them, the reappear?

Also mac book has become very hot and the fan is doing over time, as it seems like they are reloading them in the bin all the time?

What do i do?

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 3:21 PM

20 replies

May 5, 2024 8:59 AM in response to rhondda272

As you have been able to verify, this is a problem with OneDrive syncing files that it believes you have saved on their servers. It is going to require further support with Microsoft to resolve this issue. If you want to use a third party syncing solution, you cannot expect Apple to override your wishes to use that service and any issues that are seen with it, Microsoft will have to explain why that is happening. You are telling your computer to use OneDrive to sync your files with their servers and then expecting Apple to change how the Microsoft service is working, or in your case not working.

Of course Microsoft is going to say it is an Apple problem, I would not expect anything else. It is Microsoft though that developed the software to work on the Mac and they do charge people to purchase the software to use on the platform. It is also their responsibility to test and resolve any issues with the software that was purchased from them.

Apple also makes software for the PC and it would be disingenuous for Apple to blame Microsoft for any problems with the software they make for that platform. It is the responsibility of the developer to make sure their software works.

May 5, 2024 2:55 PM in response to rhondda272

I am unable to verify the operation of OneDrive as I do not have that service myself, but viewing this Microsoft Support article, after deleting from OneDrive, they will go into the OneDrive Recycle Bin. They will need to be deleted from there to stop syncing those files to your Mac Trash. The .ini files you are seeing are specifically Windows files and may have been placed into the bin from the virtualization machine that is running Microsoft 365. Here is the Support Article that I saw that explained how to delete these files from the Recycle Bin.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/delete-files-or-folders-in-onedrive-21fe345a-e488-4fa7-932b-f053c1bebe8a#ID0EBL=macOS

May 4, 2024 10:34 AM in response to Mac Jim ID

I do not have VPN on my mac book. I have attached screenshot of my bin. It is the same post as leroydouglas

Also, I had put on Terminal command of sudo rm? when go it from a search, but can not find it? This did get rid of all the files in the trash bin.

Now, today all these files have come back again and my mac book fan is always on try to cool down again! All I was doing I had my one drive open for my files, as I dont store files on my laptop and on the web for my history sites, as I search family histories.

I can see the Terminal Command, but as this has not solved the problem, should I ask Microsoft if the problem has come from them. As I purchased the updated Microsoft 2024 package from them?

Is there any chance of having a straight simple quick solution?

Thanks

May 5, 2024 10:52 AM in response to Mac Jim ID

Yeap, but Google and Drop Box drives are working, with no problem you can see my screen shot.

So why is not One drive not working from the end of April? Now this is not working now?

I will contact Microsoft again. I am not dump! I know this is a forum site of other users like me, but other users are having the same problem like me, which you can just search the web and is an on going problem. Seems no one is doing any solution about it??

We have to be hush, hush about mention the word "Apple"? When you can clearly see from my screenshot the other drives are working!

About virtualization. When I purchased the Microsoft 365 package in Feb 2024 on the web it say "Windows 365 is a cloud-based service that automatically creates a new type of Windows virtual machine (Cloud PCs) for your end users. Each Cloud PC is assigned to an individual user and is their dedicated Windows device. Windows 365 provides the productivity, security, and collaboration benefits of Microsoft 365"

So this virtualization, is already installed within the Word 365, isn't? Then the One Drive has it too? So this is the Windows problem?

Then the Google and Drop Box drives run the same way dont they? What is the next step or how do I turn it off or do I contact Microsoft with this question?

May 6, 2024 1:11 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

I have solved the problem, on my own! The one drive is now working on Mac. No files are in the bin and all my 365 package including one drive is all working and showing.

See screenshot. I think the bit more help would be appreciative with instructions, as I had to figure it out myself and what is the point on having drive icons when they will not work?

Waste of time talking to Microsoft support!

Saying "The .ini files you are seeing are specifically Windows files and may have been placed into the bin from the virtualization machine". Would be better to put instructions on how to stop this happening in the 365 package, which I did figure it out. In the end.

Everyone else, can do the same like I did, until Microsoft, Apple or a smart person put the dummy notes instructions on how to stop this happening. This is what the normal person is asking for, not searching the web and wasting time over this!

Thanks for what help was offered.

Apr 28, 2024 6:44 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

I purchased the Microsoft 365 2024 package the other month. I had no problems, until these files showed up in the bin box.

The new word version had a caps lock symbol on, which I put a code on the terminal to get rid of it, as I couldn't see below the line in tables. That worked and now don't see it.

Still don't have an English dictionary on, as it is always still in US spelling, which is annoying.

Other than that, I don't know why these files have started now and tonight. I have had no updates??

May 4, 2024 2:31 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

Bingo, but not sure.

I checked my google drive files, they are syn from one folder which are the file folders and not the bin.

Then I opened the One drive app, which is an icon on my top bar. This is showing my folder and syn online, but no bin ... then those ini files appeared in my bin

do you think i should remove the one drive from my mac and re install it?

May 4, 2024 2:55 PM in response to rhondda272

Does your Google Drive contain a Trash folder that also contains those files. If so delete them from your Google Drive.

I would try removing OneDrive to see if the problem goes away. If it does you can try installing it again, but it is likely that those files are still saved on your OneDrive somewhere and they will just sync to your Bin again. At least that would be useful to isolate where the problem is coming from.

May 4, 2024 3:44 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

I check my google drive folders, they are not syn to my computer. I have removed them and empty them.

I have uninstall one drive from my laptop and removed the files from my bin by doing terminal sudo rm -rvf ~/. Trash.

I went in one drive, empty the bin. I know my computer is only set up to syn the folder, but I am unable to remove the bin?

I have not re installed one drive back on yet, and might just leave it online use only for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks

May 5, 2024 7:42 AM in response to Mac Jim ID

I re installed One Drive from the Microsoft and all the ini files came back into the trash bin again, after logging on online checking all trash are empty, removing them, but One drive is not able to be removed. I did the same thing again with Terminal and got rid of the files and uninstall One Drive. Then went to App store and install One Drive from there, same thing happened again. Then uninstall, terminal and not re install One drive.

Is this in the setting where to accept not to syn on the Mac?

I noticed that with my icons on the top right, showing my Google icon drive and Drop Box icon drive symbols are in black, but when the One drive was on, this was in a shade of grey. Like it wasnt working probably with Apple Mac?

I do think, the problem with these ini files in the trash box is link to Apple Mac and One drive program, something to do with the last update from Windows and Apple.

I will have to look online for my One Drive files or use a external drive, but then I have to find my adaptor. Another thing to mess around with now!. Can Apple can solve the problem?? Is it possible that Apple can flag this with Windows to point out this is a problem or is the problem with Apple? When I spoken to Microsoft, they said it is Apple's problem!

Can we sort this out, as the Google drive and Drop Box drive works great.

May 5, 2024 8:09 AM in response to rhondda272

You are posting on the Apple User-to-User Support Community forums. Readers here are other users like you.

The vast majority of ordinary Mac users are NOT seeing this problem, else we would see so many posts about it the forums would be overwhelmed.

<<. Can Apple can solve the problem?? >.

Readers who see your post will respond when they have something to contribute. There are a whole lot of problems that get solved this way everyday here.

Apple is extremely unlikely to hand you solution to this specific issue, as it is unlikely that this is actually an Apple issue at all.

May 14, 2024 10:58 AM in response to Antonio P

It comes back! They all end up in the bin again, which is when windows send another update through. I went on terminal and did the sudo rm and everything to empty the bin. Someone here helpful might list the full instructions (not).

Then uninstall all the windows package of my updated version 2024. Then went back into my account and installed the windows package of 2019 with the one drive. Then my mac updated the windows. From my apps I loaded up one drive, as the download and the app store dont work. The one drive which downloaded from my package 2019, works and is the older version of the one drive.

Then log in. I did not remove the one drive files, but log them back online to link back to the folder. Then turn if off in the start up not to start up.

It might sort is self out soon, when windows update the version to sort this problem out? who knows?

Bin fills up with ini.files - unable to delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.