Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Find my iPhone gave wrong location

My hubby used find my iPhone,it put me on a side dirt road off hwy. as can imagine it has caused all sorts of questions I cannot answer. I’m with a carrier with crap service, driving up a very tree covered range. Pls explain why it would do that ?

regards

Posted on May 4, 2024 5:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2024 6:53 AM

There are 3 ways the iPhone will attempt to determine your location and the process starts with the fastest, but least accurate method in this order:

• Wifi - If the phone is connected to Wifi, it will get the location from a database of locations provided by the Access Point it is connected to. This is the least accurate, but returns a location immediately.
  • Cellular - If the phone is able to guess the location from triangulation with 3 different cell towers, then an approximate location will be determined. This takes slightly longer than WiFi and available only if a location can be determined by the 3 towers.
  • GPS - This takes the most amount of time to determine the location, but is the most accurate. You will see a location determined by at least 1 of the previous and less accurate methods first and after a GPS location can be determined, that location will update on Maps and Find My by appearing to move the blue dot to this location.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2024 6:53 AM in response to Hyslop70

There are 3 ways the iPhone will attempt to determine your location and the process starts with the fastest, but least accurate method in this order:

• Wifi - If the phone is connected to Wifi, it will get the location from a database of locations provided by the Access Point it is connected to. This is the least accurate, but returns a location immediately.
  • Cellular - If the phone is able to guess the location from triangulation with 3 different cell towers, then an approximate location will be determined. This takes slightly longer than WiFi and available only if a location can be determined by the 3 towers.
  • GPS - This takes the most amount of time to determine the location, but is the most accurate. You will see a location determined by at least 1 of the previous and less accurate methods first and after a GPS location can be determined, that location will update on Maps and Find My by appearing to move the blue dot to this location.

Find my iPhone gave wrong location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.