Duplicate songs in the iCloud Music Library - same title, same artist but different album is a "duplicate"?

Apple Music and/or the iCloud Music Library keeps flagging the same track by the same artist but from a different album as duplicates.

Example: I have two instances of the track Where's Your Gravity? by David Sylvian in my Apple Music library from two different releases:

• Where's Your Gravity? from the Do You Know Me Now? single is flagged as Matched
  • Where's Your Gravity? from the A Victim Of Stars: 1982-2012 compilation is flagged as a Duplicate

Flagging one as Duplicate would make sense if they actually were two instances of the same track by the same artist from the same release.

I seem to have a number of similar false duplicates when the track is from a studio album, compilation album, deluxe edition, remastered edition, live album, single release, and so on.

I don't think they should be flagged as duplicates as long as they come from different albums.

Any advice on how to get rid of these false duplicate flags?

Posted on May 13, 2024 6:43 AM

1 reply

May 13, 2024 8:17 AM in response to tuomofromfinland

Hi,

I suspect that if the tracks are identical albeit from different albums, they are being matched with the same album. This is an observation that I have made over the years. Both versions are being matched to probably the original album rather than the compilation. This problem is amplified with older releases that may have many reissues.

I have found that in some instances, I have selected the duplicates and tried adding them to the library. Some eventually match but the big question is with what version- doesn’t really matter if it’s the same version but what if track has been remastered?

Jim

Duplicate songs in the iCloud Music Library - same title, same artist but different album is a "duplicate"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.