Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

MacBook heating up more when opened, programs hogging CPU

So this just started the last two days or so, but I have found that my 2019 MacBook Pro is running much hotter at startup and in the evenings lately, even when there is little I am doing, last night there was only one Safari page open but it was so hot I had to shut it off. And this morning, it was weird, I didn't even have any programs open when it started having the fans run, which never happens. I'm trying to figure out what's going on and not sure, I opened Activity Monitor, and there's several moments where there's like two dozen "CGPDF" running at once, and another moment when a program like mdwrite or Mds_write was using about 132 percent of the CPU, I got some screenshots of it, I am wondering if that it is making it do this. Also I've noticed since updating Sonoma that it seems to be sucking up more power than before.

OS version is Sonoma 14.4.1, and have an EtreCheck report as well.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 14, 2024 8:46 AM

10 replies

May 16, 2024 2:08 PM in response to Rocketship01

Rocketship01 wrote:

I checked, OneDrive is not open

As well, now ads_stores is taking up 389 percent at one point.

verify unplug all non-essential  peripherals when testing...

I see these extensions which seems suspect:

App Extensions:

Finder sync extensions:

OneDrive Finder Integration - /Applications/OneDrive.app

Adobe Content Synchronizer Finder Extension - /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Sync/CoreSync/Core Sync.app

Is OneDrive mounted? Then unmount it and test.

If OneDrive is not mounted(?) then mount it and see if it resolves the issue.

May 15, 2024 10:27 AM in response to Rocketship01

Rocketship01 wrote:

I'm trying to figure out what's going on and not sure, I opened Activity Monitor, and there's several moments where there's like two dozen "CGPDF" running at once, and another moment when a program like mdwrite or Mds_write was using about 132 percent of the CPU, I got some screenshots of it, I am wondering if that it is making it do this. Also I've noticed since updating Sonoma that it seems to be sucking up more power than before.

it's a bit cooled down with 14.5 now, but I am a bit worried to test in safe mode again because of how that makes my Mac fans whir and get hot.

It makes sense as PRP_53 points out your "Gemini 2 application"—disable or uninstall if in doubt.

There is whole host of apps from "MacPaw" that seem questionable.

There is no harm with fans running in SafeBoot mode— system acceleration is turned off.

If your native Spotlight.app— Core Graphic PDF <CGPDFservice> indexing...A document that contains PDF (Portable Document Format) drawing information.

You can disable PDF in Siri &Spotlight>Settings and compare your results.

unplug all non-essential  peripherals when testing

re-index Spotlight to test— let it finish

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

you can see it working, enter something into the search window:

May 16, 2024 11:45 AM in response to leroydouglas

So I did that, I disabled PDF Document sin Siri and Spotlight, uninstalled Gemini II, and started rebuilding the index following the steps, Spotlight till has the bar. But the MacBook is still burning to the touch, and CGPDF Services are still running on multiple cores, definitely spikes whenever they start. I ran another Etrecheck report but I feel like I've exhausted the options.

May 14, 2024 11:27 AM in response to Rocketship01

Rocketship01 wrote:

So this just started the last two days or so, but I have found that my 2019 MacBook Pro is running much hotter at startup and in the evenings lately, even when there is little I am doing, last night there was only one Safari page open but it was so hot I had to shut it off. And this morning, it was weird, I didn't even have any programs open when it started having the fans run, which never happens. I'm trying to figure out what's going on and not sure, I opened Activity Monitor, and there's several moments where there's like two dozen "CGPDF" running at once, and another moment when a program like mdwrite or Mds_write was using about 132 percent of the CPU, I got some screenshots of it, I am wondering if that it is making it do this. Also I've noticed since updating Sonoma that it seems to be sucking up more power than before.
OS version is Sonoma 14.4.1, and have an EtreCheck report as well.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/370555a8-5e16-4e4b-a57b-17f669340af5
<EtreCheck report.log>

The current stable release of Sonoma including bug fixes, security updates is macOS 14.5 - I would start there

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

see if there is anything here—

Since updating MacBook Air to Sonoma I ha… - Apple Community

from your report <There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.>

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

unplug all non-essential peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

OneDrive has been known to cause issues. I would disable this sync drive and compare your results.

May 15, 2024 9:27 AM in response to leroydouglas

So I updated it, but mixed up the order, first I noticed that the battery had dropped to 80 percent overnight even though it was plugged in until I turned it off last night. Still tho to touch. I tested in safe mode, first under my usual profile, then under the test one I set up about two weeks ago. And both times, I noticed this, Activity mOnitor was the only app running openly, but the fans were whirring and it was super-warm on Safe Mode for each. I checked, OneDrive is not open, cannot see what other third party apps might be causing it. I am wondering if it is something to do with Finder or Spotlight, because at one point I found it said 'Finder is using significant energy". it's a bit cooled down with 14.5 now, but I am a bit worried to test in safe mode again because of how that makes my Mac fans whir and get hot.

May 16, 2024 3:44 PM in response to leroydouglas

@leroydouglas Everything was unplugged, including the power cord just in case it counts as a peripheral, I uninstalled OneDrive, tried again. Still got hot enough to almost burn my fingers, and I have another Etrecheck below to be sure. I think it's a bug in CGPDF Services, because that is always the one which seems to pop up and never go away even after trying to rebuild Spotlight, it is still indexing after several hours. I am not sure what else to do, although as of 3 45 PST, it seems to have cooled a bit. Still, thinking of this from the report and it might be important:

Top Processes Snapshot by CPU:

Process (count) CPU (Source - Location)
    CGPDFService (33) 206.15 % (Apple)
    mdwrite 30.18 % (Apple)
    EtreCheckPro 18.40 % (Etresoft, Inc.)
    mdworker_shared (32) 15.55 % (Apple)
    WindowServer 6.88 % (Apple)

leroydouglas wrote:

Rocketship01 wrote:

I checked, OneDrive is not open

As well, now ads_stores is taking up 389 percent at one point.

verify unplug all non-essential  peripherals when testing...

I see these extensions which seems suspect:

App Extensions:
Finder sync extensions:
OneDrive Finder Integration - /Applications/OneDrive.app
Adobe Content Synchronizer Finder Extension - /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Sync/CoreSync/Core Sync.app

Is OneDrive mounted? Then unmount it and test.

If OneDrive is not mounted(?) then mount it and see if it resolves the issue.

May 16, 2024 2:08 PM in response to Rocketship01

I will defer to my learned colleague @leroydouglas .

I have seen others from time to time with the same machine and configuration as this machine.

Those users eventually seemed to tie in down to combination of machine and MS Software mixed with Adobe software all culminating in this ongoing issue

From the latest Etrecheck Report

System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

MacBook heating up more when opened, programs hogging CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.