Battery Drain and Software Hangs After macOS 14.5 Update (MacBook Air m1)

I am writing to report issues with my MacBook Air m1 after updating the OS from Sonoma 14.4 to 14.5 . Since the update, I have been experiencing two problem.

Significant battery drain: My battery life has noticeably decreased. Previously, I have got 10 to 11 hour on a single charge but now, I am only able to use my Mac for maximum 5 hour hours.

Software freezing :   Today I I have face this problem couple of time I don't use it for heavy work just used it for web browsing.

As mention: fFirst February I purchase the Mac when it's os was Ventura and I notice that ventura was better than Sonoma for battery backup that. also mention that I have not made any changes to my hardware or software configuration besides the update to macOS 14.5.

So I would appreciate it if you could advise to solve this issue.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on May 14, 2024 9:39 AM

2 replies

May 14, 2024 11:03 AM in response to Mehedihasanmayan

Mehedihasanmayan wrote:

I am writing to report issues with my MacBook Air m1 after updating the OS from Sonoma 14.4 to 14.5 . Since the update, I have been experiencing two problem.

Significant battery drain: My battery life has noticeably decreased. Previously, I have got 10 to 11 hour on a single charge but now, I am only able to use my Mac for maximum 5 hour hours.

Software freezing :   Today I I have face this problem couple of time I don't use it for heavy work just used it for web browsing.

As mention: fFirst February I purchase the Mac when it's os was Ventura and I notice that ventura was better than Sonoma for battery backup that. also mention that I have not made any changes to my hardware or software configuration besides the update to macOS 14.5.

So I would appreciate it if you could advise to solve this issue.
Thank you for your time and assistance.

Have you shut down and restarted the mac more than once since your update...?

if you continue to have issues—

trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

unplug all non-essential peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Battery Drain and Software Hangs After macOS 14.5 Update (MacBook Air m1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.