Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alu Macbook shocking me (physic electric shock)

My Macbook is giving me electric shocks through the body and upper part of the lid. It was a small tinkling feeling at first, but lately it has been larger shocks. It wont kill me... for now atleast, but its certainly not pleasant to work with.. what should I do? Bring it in for a new one?

I believe it only happens when its charging

Message was edited by: Dr.Phill

Alu Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.7), Macbook with a JOLT

Posted on Jul 8, 2009 12:17 PM

3 replies

Jul 8, 2009 2:49 PM in response to Dr.Phill

Dr.Phill wrote:
My Macbook is giving me electric shocks through the body and upper part of the lid. It was a small tinkling feeling at first, but lately it has been larger shocks. It wont kill me... for now atleast, but its certainly not pleasant to work with.. what should I do? Bring it in for a new one?

I believe it only happens when its charging

It's a type of ground differential, (or ground loop) you might feel in more if you stood with your stocking feet flat on the floor and touched the case, less if you sat on a chair with your legs folded while touching the case.

You also might notice a difference if you move the macbook to a different location and/or use a different electric outlet.

The voltage you're feeling through the case is caused by a difference in ground potential between the outlet the Mac is plugged into and earth ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundloop(electricity)

Is your home/apartment older?

It would be wise to take the Macbook in to be checked but I think you will find it's more of a problem at your location and is often a problem with components like stereo amps, computers...etc.

pancenter-

Jul 8, 2009 5:51 PM in response to Dr.Phill

The power adapter places one-half of the line voltage onto the computer chassis and, therefore, the case. The current is below the international safety limit, so that should not be a concern. To alleviate the condition, use the 3-prong AC power adapter cable for the power adapter, and plug it into a properly-grounded AC outlet.

Alu Macbook shocking me (physic electric shock)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.