Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Electric shocks from Macbook

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, and what you did about it. My macbook when charging gives small electric shocks through the body of the mac. I'v been on the phone to Apple and they have suggested using a 3 pronged plug, which i do. using a serge protector, which i shouldn't have to use. They told me the magsafe adapter is not earthed if not using the extension lead, which seems mad to me. Please post comments if you have experienced similar problems and what you did to sort it out.

thanks

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 17, 2009 5:33 AM

17 replies

Jul 17, 2009 6:10 AM in response to Beaumontayy

Static electricity buildup can initiate charges like this when touching metal surfaces if you aren't grounded yourself. To ground yourself before touching the computer, touch the desk that is on the ground before touching the computer. If you still get charges touching the computer, it may indicate something is wrong with the power adapter's ground connector, and it needs to be replaced.

See my FAQ* on handling power adapters for notebooks and Mac Minis*:

http://www.macmaps.com/frayguide.html

- * Links to my pages may give me compensation.

Jul 17, 2009 4:20 PM in response to Beaumontayy

Beaumontayy wrote:
Okay yes, its been in for repair and Apple are not owning up to any faults which is annoying as it can be difficult to use the computer. I have tried that where i touch a desk but it still happens. Il look at other posts.

Here's related threads.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9609476&#9609476

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9761980&#9761980

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9789913&#9789913

pancenter-

Jul 17, 2009 4:28 PM in response to Beaumontayy

The electrical shocks are due to the fact the the power adapter places one-half of the line voltage onto the computer chassis. Although annoying, there is no safety concern. A method to alleviate this is to use the 3-prong AC power adapter cord, and plug it into a properly grounded AC outlet.

"Apple are not owning up to any faults"
That's because it is not an Apple-related problem. All portable computer manufacturers face the same situation however, with a plastic case, the user doesn't feel any current leakage.

Every design is a compromise, and current leakage is one of the design considerations for products to meet the myriad of international emitted radiation standards.

Jul 19, 2009 11:09 AM in response to Beaumontayy

Thank you Pancenter and Carl Wolf, both very helpful. Il have a good look through the links Pancenter! and Carl Wolf I can see what you are saying, Apple have said very similar thing to myself. Im more disappointed in Apple for designing a product with a fault that makes the computer difficult to use and then not at least owning up to it. I do use a 3 pronged plug and it is properly earthed etc. Iv learnt the magsafe lead is double insulated and as such isn't earthed at all. But i find it surprising mains is managing to travel from the adapter to the computer chassis.

Thanks for the help guys, i dont think you could answer my question anymore! Such a pain! Literally haha 😉

Jul 19, 2009 5:16 PM in response to Beaumontayy

"Im more disappointed in Apple for designing a product with a fault that makes the computer difficult..."

This is not an "Apple" problem - all computer manufacturers use the same design scheme. You notice the situation more with an Apple product, because the casework is metal. All designs are based on compromise, and the current leakage is necessary to meet the myriad of international requirements relating to emitted radiation.

Jul 20, 2009 6:29 AM in response to Beaumontayy

Yes, i relise. But its such a crucial problem that i would have thought apple would sacrific design for userability. I dont experiance it with any plastic cased computers. It is within regulation for the voltage on the case but non the less its a big compromise to make. By rights there should be non, or low, aspecially when the product is such a high value product!

Jul 20, 2009 5:31 PM in response to Beaumontayy

"i would have thought apple would sacrific design for userability."
Without the low current leakage, Apple's products could not be sold. The design compromise is an INTERNATIONAL concern, not just Apple's.

"I dont experiance it with any plastic cased computers."
That's because a plastic case does not conduct electricity.

"It is within regulation for the voltage on the case but non the less its a big compromise to make. By rights there should be non, or low, aspecially when the product is such a high value product!"
"Rights"? I'm not following your thoughts. Too, you are not following mine. Expensive or cheap, the same design considerations are necessary.

Even in today's economic climate, Apple, all of its competitors, and all of their strategic manufacturing partners are looking for brilliant engineering talent. If you can solve this design compromise with an intelligent, economically-viable solution (they're looking for something better than "make everything plastic"), there's a job waiting for you.

Jul 20, 2009 9:14 PM in response to Beaumontayy

Beaumontayy wrote:
Yes, i relise. But its such a crucial problem that i would have thought apple would sacrific design for userability. I dont experiance it with any plastic cased computers.

As mentioned, plastic does not conduct current.

Which brings up another point, in order for you to feel a shock, you must be conducting current.

As an experiment try this... using your Macbook at it's usual place (desk, table?), sit on an all wood chair and lift your feet off the ground, sit cross legged on the chair is possible. Touch nothing else except the Macbook, type as usual, do you notice the current as much?

Alternately, take your shoes off and plant your feet firmly on the floor, or stand... is the current stronger now?

pancenter-

Jul 22, 2009 10:26 AM in response to aaronbloomers

Welcome to Apple Discussions!

Your speakers may need to be grounded. Please start a new topic thread if you don't know how to do that. The link below:

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1287&start=0

Offers the Post New Topic link. It is better to start a new topic thread, as it gives you a wider audience, and won't confuse the original poster with solutions which may not apply to them.

Electric shocks from Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.