Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV cannot see home movies

I have home movies copied from mini dv tapes to files on my iMac. The apple app on the iMac shows the home video in its own folder. But it will not show up on my actual Apple TV device. Things I’ve already done: turned in home sharing on both devices, double checked that the network is the same, restarted everything (iMac, Apple TV, home modem and router), it simply won’t appear on the device even though it can clearly see all my photos and music. I have seen other threads with people having this same issue but I’ve never seen it resolved. Any ideas?

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 11:35 PM

What is your model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

What is the version macOS on your Mac? Use iTunes for macOS versions prior to Catalina.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

To view Home Sharing Content from the Mac on Apple TV, use the Computers app on Apple TV. That will try to find a shared library on the home network that has the same Apple ID in its settings for Home Sharing. If it finds multiple computers that qualify, then you will be asked to make a choice for one at a time. If it finds none, then it will say ‘No libraries available’.

Home Sharing files will not show in the TV app on the Apple TV box. As mentioned earlier, use the Computers app instead.

Add your files to the library using iTunes or using the TV app on your Mac. By default, the shared files may be moved or copied to a standard folder, but you can override that and use the files just where they are. In both cases, it only matters that the shared files are added the the library database. There is no sharing folder as such.

The Home Sharing files will have to be compatible with Apple TV. Incompatible files would still show in the Computers app, but refuse to play.

Untagged video files will be shared as “home videos”, which is a separate tab/category in the Computers app.

Movies | TV Shows | Music | Photos | More | Search

You will find Home Videos, Podcasts, Audiobooks in the More tab.

If you change the Media Kind tag for a file (Home Video to something else), then you can change how your file will be categorized and shared.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2020 11:35 PM in response to Jj314

What is your model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

What is the version macOS on your Mac? Use iTunes for macOS versions prior to Catalina.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

To view Home Sharing Content from the Mac on Apple TV, use the Computers app on Apple TV. That will try to find a shared library on the home network that has the same Apple ID in its settings for Home Sharing. If it finds multiple computers that qualify, then you will be asked to make a choice for one at a time. If it finds none, then it will say ‘No libraries available’.

Home Sharing files will not show in the TV app on the Apple TV box. As mentioned earlier, use the Computers app instead.

Add your files to the library using iTunes or using the TV app on your Mac. By default, the shared files may be moved or copied to a standard folder, but you can override that and use the files just where they are. In both cases, it only matters that the shared files are added the the library database. There is no sharing folder as such.

The Home Sharing files will have to be compatible with Apple TV. Incompatible files would still show in the Computers app, but refuse to play.

Untagged video files will be shared as “home videos”, which is a separate tab/category in the Computers app.

Movies | TV Shows | Music | Photos | More | Search

You will find Home Videos, Podcasts, Audiobooks in the More tab.

If you change the Media Kind tag for a file (Home Video to something else), then you can change how your file will be categorized and shared.

Aug 13, 2020 9:42 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks. I am running Catalina 10.15.6 on a 2019 iMac (up to date), With the TV app version 1.0.6.8 My appletv is model Apple TV 4K (A1842) and I’m running tvOS 13.4.8 (up to date), both are on the same network, both have home sharing on, i can see my photos and music on the tv4k but cannot see home videos under the tv4k tv app.

On my iMac, in the TV app, there is a heading (under movies and TV shows) for “Home Videos”, which was created after I imported a saved file from Final Cut Pro X (QuickTime file). However, I can’t see the “Home Video” heading on the tv4k, so I can’t watch the video that way.

i appreciate any help. I’m trying to set things up so my 85 year led mother can watch home videos from the sofa (she can’t sit in front of a computer or handle pushing from a phone, etc...). Any other thoughts?

Apple TV cannot see home movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.