Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In OS 10.14.6 I have lost the ability to find files (folders, doc, pdf, xls etc.) in Finder using Search. Using Spotlight I do find the files. How do I use the Search in Finder?

In Mojave my Finder does not find any files using Search when they are clearly in the folder being searched. Spotlight does find them. How do I rectify this?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 12:51 PM

That was my correct preference setting but other strange things were happening like taking a screen shot then the captured screen shot could not be found. I did a computer shut down then a restart and everything started working. I can once again search with Finder.

2 replies

Nov 19, 2020 11:52 AM in response to rob251

The Finder Window has its own search field which also uses Spotlight. See Apple's Narrow your search results in macOS. Also, revisit what search categories that you have selected in the System Preferences : Spotlight panel, as omitting some of these will make things invisible to your searches.

It is a good idea to set the Finder Preferences : Advanced panel's When performing a search: { Search the Current Folder ]. This shows a sub-toolbar on a Finder Window: This Mac "current folder name"

In OS 10.14.6 I have lost the ability to find files (folders, doc, pdf, xls etc.) in Finder using Search. Using Spotlight I do find the files. How do I use the Search in Finder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.