Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck during "Getting Windows Ready" for Windows 10 installation process

I am attempting to install Windows 10 using Boot Camp Assistant on a Macbook Pro Retina (late 2013). I am using the latest Windows ISO, but when I install it runs through initial installation steps ( asking for language, license key, product version) and then restarts. It then says "getting devices ready." Once it finishes that it says "Getting Windows Ready." After some time the progress loop freezes. It stays like this for hours, and the only way for me to get the computer to do anything else is to restart (which screws up the whole installation process). I have tried this several times to no avail. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it?

MacBook

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 4:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 9:30 PM

See https://beetstech.com/blog/apple-proprietary-ssd-ultimate-guide-to-specs-and-upgrades for reference.

The firmware and drivers coordinate IO. If there are errors that are not handled correctly, data may be lost, and you may never know. You may also get spurious errors. On a 256Gb SSD, split the SSD in half, and install Windows on one of the partitions.

For the 512Gb 2015 SSD, you can always sell it on eBay with very specific model information. You should be ale to get your money back. The 2015 SSDs are bit 'faster'. You can also continue to look for a 512Gb or a 1Tb SSD for your specific 2013 model.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2021 9:30 PM in response to Protector_Owl

See https://beetstech.com/blog/apple-proprietary-ssd-ultimate-guide-to-specs-and-upgrades for reference.

The firmware and drivers coordinate IO. If there are errors that are not handled correctly, data may be lost, and you may never know. You may also get spurious errors. On a 256Gb SSD, split the SSD in half, and install Windows on one of the partitions.

For the 512Gb 2015 SSD, you can always sell it on eBay with very specific model information. You should be ale to get your money back. The 2015 SSDs are bit 'faster'. You can also continue to look for a 512Gb or a 1Tb SSD for your specific 2013 model.

Jan 3, 2021 8:27 PM in response to Protector_Owl

The driver used on each model is specific to the SSDs expected on that model. My recommendation is to re-install the 2013 SSD into the 2013 model and then install Windows.

What is the size of each SSD - the 2013 and 2015 models?

Cloning may work, but you may see unpredictable errors with the 2015 SSD. Is it possible for you find a larger SSD (if that is what you need) from a 2013 Mac model, which is the same as yours?

Stuck during "Getting Windows Ready" for Windows 10 installation process

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.