Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cyclic reboot after upgrade to BigSur 11.6

I upgraded my 2020 MacBook Pro from Catalina 10.15.7 to BigSur 11.6 and now I am facing the very frustrating issue of my mac crashing anytime i connect external monitors. There seems to be no method to the madness - sometimes it crashes when i connect the first monitor, and some other times, when i connect the second monitor. Just before the crash I can hear the fan at high velocity.

After reboot, i get a "Panic Reboot" alert indicating that a third party kernel extension caused reboot.

This is probably the 110th reboot and it happens at the most crucial work times. I see a LOT of questions related to this topic with no viable solution. Have already tried PRAM and SMC resets.

This is affecting work and my sanity. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 6:40 AM

drvidian wrote:

I upgraded my 2020 MacBook Pro from Catalina 10.15.7 to BigSur 11.6 and now I am facing the very frustrating issue of my mac crashing anytime i connect external monitors. There seems to be no method to the madness - sometimes it crashes when i connect the first monitor, and some other times, when i connect the second monitor. Just before the crash I can hear the fan at high velocity.
After reboot, i get a "Panic Reboot" alert indicating that a third party kernel extension caused reboot.

Are these monitors plugged directly into the Mac ?

If there is dock involved— search the developer website for any update...

If there are updated drivers for your unnamed external monitors— try updating

Use an external display with your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2021 6:40 AM in response to drvidian

drvidian wrote:

Are these monitors plugged directly into the Mac ?

If there is dock involved— search the developer website for any update...

If there are updated drivers for your unnamed external monitors— try updating

Use an external display with your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Oct 19, 2021 11:03 AM in response to drvidian

The same freaking thing here. 2019 MBP from Catalina to Big Sur and experiencing unusable conditions with my external monitor which is critical for my work. I am also running Apple's highest spec model with what should be enough power to compile large code or videos but I can barely browse this forum. Almost $5k on a machine that works like 1999 windows PC, ridiculous. The crazy thing is kernel is consuming 1000+ CPU at only 140° F - it doesn't make sense! All resets soft. andhard only last about 20 minutes before it kicks back up! I am so unbelievably frustrated. Anyways, that's my rant, I needed to do that because I can't find enough places to vent my frustration. Ready to throw this thing out the window.

This is one of the better videos with some tips and explanations. I have not tried any of the suggestions yet. https://youtu.be/zX6kZ3-UBuE

Oct 19, 2021 12:24 PM in response to drvidian

I am not sure if this is a coincidence or not - but about 10 minutes after I wrote my first reply I saw that there was an update

(V 11.6) After the update, I also added my charger back ( I was using my monitor as a power source ). Since both the update and reintroducing the actual charger my machine has been pretty smooth operating at only 4% - 6%.

I wish I did one at a time to have a better idea of the resolution but I was trying everything to get it fixed. Hope one or both help

Cyclic reboot after upgrade to BigSur 11.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.